cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start MIgration Monitor manually

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I will be doing the migration ( export /import) in order to migrate our systems form Oracle to DB6.

I was going through some documents from service.sap.com and also this forum to figure out the steps

One questions what would happen if we select " Start MIgration MOnitor manually" and please explain what it does.

Also, what would happen if we dont select "Start Migration Monitor manually"

Thanks!

Rajavelu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I will be doing the migration ( export /import) in order to migrate our systems form Oracle to DB6.

First advise: doing heterogeneous migrations (changing databases) requires a certified migration on-site to do the migration. If you do this on your own you'll loose support for problems during the migration and for the target system.

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

--> FAQ

> One questions what would happen if we select " Start MIgration MOnitor manually" and please explain what it does.

The export will halt and you will need to start the migration monitor manually after having configured the parameters in a .properties files. This is documented in the migration monitor documentation which is extracted as PDF when this phase is reached.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. I am doing only test just to calcuate the export and import time.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for the response. I am doing only test just to calcuate the export and import time.

I understand.

The issue is, that there are a lot of option to increase the speed (table splitting, parallel import and export, special load options for the target databases etc.). With a good planning and good parameter settings you can export up to 800 GB per hour. If you just use the defaults, you will need MUCH longer.

The migration consultants have the knowledge and the experience to do this kind of optimizations.

Of course, to "just try" you can do your own.

Markus

Answers (0)