cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Web Dynpro to provide Web Services

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know I can use Adative web services model to consume existing web services. But I have not seen any example to use Web Dynpro as the web service provider. Can this be done? If yes, how?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

phanir_mullapudi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

WebDynPro Java/ABAP are primarily User Interface technologies. Webservices are faceless (without UI ) components that provide certain functionality. Using UI technologies like WebDynPro Java/ABAP etc, we can build a face( UI ) to the webservices.

DnyPro itself means a screen & WebDynPro is for building web based applciations.

Hope this resolves your question.

Well, if you still want to use it as provider & if you have an existing web-service, the way to do it is, Right click on your WebDynPro ABAP component & select CREATE->Service Call. Build a Custom Controller or use the Component Controller to get the service using service type = Webservice proxy for your webservice. You can use this Component as a Used component in any other webdynpro components & use this to access webservices.

Thanks,

Phani

Edited by: Phani Rajesh Mullapudi on Oct 8, 2009 10:41 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

My question is WHY NOT? If you want people to use WDJ instead of other tools. Why not make it capable of providing web servises and not just consuming them? Even other SAP tools have the capability, like MII, why not WDJ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you know if SAP is going to add this capability in futrue release? It is hard to image a framework like WDJ can only consume Web services but not being able to be a provider as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me return the question: Why would you want to expose WD as a Service? Its a great MVC GUI framework and can consume services and import models, but why build services with it? Just to use the context to store Objects?

I know what you mean, and if it were possible I would try it out. But I see no use-case where I would demand that kind of functionality ...

jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

sadly, WD is always the Consumer, never the Provider.

You can split your WD in DCs and reuse functionality, but never provide services.

Thats why I use an EJB Layer beneath WD that takes all the business logic and data handling and provide Services there. These can then easily be consuimed by WD and other clients.

JAn