cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP+JAVA system copy using 3rd party export/import tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to do a homogenous system copy. I am following the syscopy guide for SAP NW 7.0 SR3 ABAP+JAVA systems

We are running AIX 5.L and Oracle.

My question is this. We are using an IBM XiV system for our disk storage, and we are able to restore from "snaps" which is their version of images. Does anyone know if it is possible to restore or "import" the data in a system copy using an outside tool like this? If so, do you have any information on how to?

I know it is possible to restore the database from an offline backup using BRTools rather than r3load and jload, and I just wanted to see if I can restore from a snap as it would save a lot of time in the procedure.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>My question is this. We are using an IBM XiV system for our disk storage, and we are able to restore from "snaps" which is their version of images. Does anyone know if it is possible to restore or "import" the data in a system copy using an outside tool like this? If so, do you have any information on how to?

That approach is not supported.

The reason is: combined instances write the instance name and hostname in various places, on the filesystem in .properties files, in the JDBC configuration, depending on the java applications you run on top in various other places. What you're trying to do is effectively "renaming" an instance.

Technically it's possible to do it and to get it run, yes, but the supported way is running sapinst and choose ABAP + Java system copy. This will prevent you from lots of (not really documented) manual work after the copy.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus!

After re-evaluating we have decided to go the supported route strictly using the SYSCOPY guide and using SapInst and BRTools.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> After re-evaluating we have decided to go the supported route strictly using the SYSCOPY guide and using SapInst and BRTools.

Ok!

You still can copy the database (only) using 3rd party tools (split mirror or other techniques).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont think you can use images to restore system using SAP system copy. But you can use image software (e.g. Symantec Ghost) to restore complete image of the server. I have tried just last week restoring using ghost copy and it worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Thanks for the input. We don't have access to Ghost, but we have NIM (only for the OS however).

I believe we will end up using BRTools to just restore from an offline backup after cleaning up the redo logs.

It seems in the System Copy Guide you can also restore "manually" directly from the source, and I think that is where we might be able to use our snap copies from the XiV.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe standard SAP systemcopy with brtools will be helpful but you may try restoring data manually like you have mentioned from your snap XiV (by the way I am not aware of your XiV funcationality)