cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same System No for all the instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

I come across a different kind of landscape structure. Actuall i am working in a project in which SAP ECC is installed on 10 different servers. physically separate. and all those instances are having same system number 00.

But actually my understanding is, if we are increasing the no of dialog instances it should increase like 00,01.02 and so on.

Could any body explain how this kind of installation can be done.

regards

Akhil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor

System number is simply a unique identifier for SAP software installled on the same hardware, theres no rules written for this, simply you can't install 2 systems with the same system number on the same hardware the rest is completely up to you.

Some people use a pattern to identify the instance easily... 😄 (At least I do)

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

To be even more specific, a <SID>_<hostname>_<sy. nr.> combination must be unique.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

sorry to disagree.

Let's say you have got a host myhost, and you want to install systems SY1 and SY2 on it. Then you can't give them both the system number 00, even if SY1_myhost_00 and SY2_myhost_00 would be unique.

regards

PS: Both would try to use port sapdp00 3200/tcp

How should this work?

Edited by: Joe Bo. on Oct 8, 2009 9:40 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

You are correct...and that is the second time this week I've posted a factual error...very strange, I must have TechEd on my brain...

What I was considering was an Adaptive Computing landscape where multiple services could end up on the same host. Obviously I didn't think it through enough, as the instance number must be unique for services to work. For example, a Java server is called by http://<hostname>:50<inst. nr.>00. So, obviously if two different SIDs had the same hostname and instance number there would be a conflict. What I mixed up is that the <hostname> must be unique. Then, of course, you could end up with two systems with virtual hostnames and the same instance number running on the same physical host. That is

C11_virtualhostA_00

C12_virtualhostB_00

should both be able run on physicalhostC even though they have the same instance number. However, I am also confirming this configuration with the Adaptive Computing experts.

Sorry for the confusion.

This still doesn't really answer your question

>Both would try to use port sapdp00 3200/tcp

I know there is a technical answer for this in and Adaptive landscape, but I have not found it yet. If I do, I will post it here.

Best Regards,

Matt

former_member412629
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I know this is a pretty old topic, but the discussion came to my problem.

I tried to install a second instance of Solution Manager Diagnostics on one of my server with two diffrents virtual hostnames.

The configuration is :

hostname = virt01
SID = DA1
NR = 97

and

hostname = virt02
SID = DA2
NR = 97

So, it seems that two SAP instances with the same sysnr on one host (even with two virtual hostnames) does not work.

Regards.

Edited by: Projet CONCERTO Armée de Terre on Mar 22, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Akhil ,

Please make clear that same instance no issue arises on same host & more than SAP system means same hardware for more than one SAP system .

In your case as you are using different hardware so it wont be issue for instance no.

Hope this will give you little idea.

Thanks..

Mohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks to Juan and mohit. confusion is gone now.

thanks a lot.

Akhil