cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I recover log backup files saved using ARCHIVE_STAGE to an alternate lo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We use a third-party product to backup our databases (via the BACKINT (BACK) interface).

For the Log Backups we use the archive_stage command to save the log backups to tape. The log backup files are deleted once they have been saved twice to tape.

During the recovery process using the DBMGui, these files are recovered as part of the recovery process.

What is the command to recover these files from tape to either it's original location or an alternate location?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What is the command to recover these files from tape to either it's original location or an alternate location?

There is no option to do this.

The log backups are either read during a recovery or during a recovery check.

They are never put back into the filesystem.

What would it be good for? What is the use case for such a feature?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars

Thanks for the information.

We do a number of system refreshes using a copy of Production for building sandbox & test systems. Just recently, I had to build a copy of production and recover it to a point-in-time because of an issue that occured at one of the sites.

I have found it a lot easier to do these copies/refreshes using _file backups _ rather than backint backups. Using files involves changing the MEDIUM definition but with pipes it requires hacking the dbm.* files and changes to the backup vendor software to allow access as well.

At the moment we use a backup tool to backup the data and log backup files to tape. This allows us to recover the files directly to disk or to alternate locations.

We are moving to another backup product that doesn't allow us to use the same strategy and we are required to use the backint interface. Looks like we will have to change our strategy.

Thanks again.

Doug

Answers (0)