Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Union Vs Intersection in SAP BI and BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please explain "composition of Authorization is intersection in BW3.5 and in BI 7.0 it is Union of Authorizationu201D with example.

also what is all vs. none concept in BI 7.0 authorization.

As per my understanding above 2 concepts (Union vs. intersection and either all or none) are contradictory please help me to understand these with some example.

as i have read many example on this but i am not clear about this

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you had a look at this doc? it runs through an example for Union

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/10ac515c-a04d-2a10-799f-e1641a88ff49&override...

As I understand it, with the intersection mode, a selection would cause an auth check to be performed and where appropriate auth exists, authorised values would be returned. If there are some items which are not authorised (e.g. company code line items) then they would not appear in the results.

With the union mode, you need all authorisations for the selection. If you are missing a company code then you will get no results. Compare this with intersection mode where all results would be returned with exception of those not authorised.

I've never heard of the concept "all 'vs' none", what is the context of the term?

p.s. please delete the other 2 duplicate posts

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you had a look at this doc? it runs through an example for Union

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/10ac515c-a04d-2a10-799f-e1641a88ff49&override...

As I understand it, with the intersection mode, a selection would cause an auth check to be performed and where appropriate auth exists, authorised values would be returned. If there are some items which are not authorised (e.g. company code line items) then they would not appear in the results.

With the union mode, you need all authorisations for the selection. If you are missing a company code then you will get no results. Compare this with intersection mode where all results would be returned with exception of those not authorised.

I've never heard of the concept "all 'vs' none", what is the context of the term?

p.s. please delete the other 2 duplicate posts

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex ,

below is the explanation of what i want to say for "Either all or none "

"Either all or none "means if user have full authorization then he would be able to see the data and if he has partial authorization he would not be able to see any results at all in BI 7.0 .

also i gone thriugh the link suggested by you and also saw on below link that

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-bi;jsessionid=(J2EE3414900)ID0076596350DB00786589152113155685End?r...

which was "With the new concept, selections of query are checked against the union of the authorizations. With BW 3.x, the selections of query is checked against the ""intersection"" of authorization objects.

Example: one authorization grants access to cost center 1000 for year 2004, and a second authorization grants access to the same cost center 1000 for year 2005.

With the new concept, the access to query selections with cost center 1000 for year 2004 and year 2005 is granted.

With BW 3.x, if the two example authorizations are represented by two authorizations to different authorization objects, the query selection has to be in the intersection of the two authorization objects for the authorization should be granted. With the above example, access is not granted, since no selection is covered by both authorization objects. "

i also checked in BW 3.5 but got the results which supports union in BW 3.5 .

please explain me with more details

Many Thanks

Dheeraj

0 Kudos

Hi Dheeraj,

I have explained what my interpretation is. I suggest that if you are struggling with this and need more information then you enrol on the BW365 course.