cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to transport WebDynpro iViews

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am creating an iView based on a custom developed WebDynpro application.

How do I transport this iView from DEV, QA to production?

do I need to transport the WebDynpro application in addition to exporting/importing the PCD?

my understanding is that the WebDynpro application resides outside of PCD so I guess it needs to have its own transport track in JDI?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kai_unewisse3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A par file is also created for WDP.

Export the iview per transport package incl. dependancies (that would be the PAR file).

Download the transport package and take a look inside per Winzip.

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

aren't there two components that need to be transported? the par file (iView component) and the .ear file (WebDynpro component).

the transport method you suggest in your response applies to the par components. How can we transport the WebDynpro component?

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kirk,

you'r right. the portal transport package includes only the iview. the application itself (the .ear file) hve to be transported independently.

you can do this in 3 different ways:

- deploy it from your NWDS to the Q or P server (fastest/easiest, but not recommended)

- use NWDI to build a JAVA transport system landscape (most complex solution)

- copy the .ear file to Q and P and deploy it manually/locally on these servers (via SDM) (recommended solution)

kr, achim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Achim thanks for your answer. I need some clarifications:

if I deploy the par file and the ear file to another server (say from D to Q) is the iView still going to work? I have in mind the fact that the location of the ear has changed. Would the iView still be able to detect the new location of the ear automatically or I need to recreate the iView?

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kirk,

as you've created your iView, you have assigend a logical system to the iview. this alias was assigned to a system in your system landscape in the portal.

when you now transport the iview to another portal and you have already created a system in the system landscape with the same alias, you have to deploy the .ear with your wd-application to that (productive) system.

kr, achim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Achim - when creating an iView based on a WD application, the iView needs the URL of the WD appl (is that right?). If I move the WD appl to another server, the URL will change. Will the iView still work if the WD URL changes?

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

kirk,

unfortunatley, I've got no portal right now available for doublecheck this, but the aren't the parameters you configure for a web dynpro iview just "path" and "application name"?

the host/port should be derived from the used system alias.

if I'm wrong and the hostname/port is set in the iview, you would have to change them in the imported portal to the correct host/port.

kr, achim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using the system alias. So if I transport the iView from D to Q, do I need to update the system alias with the "path" for Q?

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kirk,

you have to assign the alias in the Q-system to a system, in the system landscape that points to the Q-system on which the web dynpros run.

the iview-parameters can stay the same (the path e.g. "sap.com/ess~lea" and the application name e.g. "LeaveRequest").

an example:

in your D system you have the iview "MyIview" with

- system(alias) "My_WD_System" that points to "http://develop.mycompany.com:50000" and "webdynpro/dispatcher"

- application namespace "sap.com/ess~lea"

- application name "LeaveRequest"

now, you import that iview in your Q system. all you have to do is to make sure that you have a system in your system landscape that has assigned the alias "My_WD_System" and that points to "http://qas.mycompany.com:50000" and "webdynpro/dispatcher"

kr, achim

Answers (0)