Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver Installation using Virtual Hostname

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I am gathering some information on Virtual Hostname installation for SAP Netweaverver 7.0/7.1(PI).

Have few questions:

1. Please let me know some good documentation and concept of Virtual Hostname for Windows/Solaris.

2.What are the major benefits of using Virtual Hostname .

3.Is Virtual Hostname usage and MSCS HA are related in some way.

Waiting for your replies.

regards

Ajay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan

Link has some of the rquired information.

Still some of my questions are unanswered.

Basically ,we are not using HA ,but want to use the Virtual Hostname for already installed PI system ,Central System with physical host name.

What are the things required to be taken care in this case.

Regards

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Virtual hostnames are primarily used in HA, Disaster Recovery and Adaptive Computing scenarios. The easiest way is to use the sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME parameter during installation.

If systems were not installed using virtual hostnames, then it becomes a bit more difficult. Application servers can just be dumped and reinstalled. For the CI and DB, though, it is a bit more complicated and usually involves an export/import process, which is time consuming.

Therefore, we recommend to install using sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME whether or not you are currently planning to do HA or Adaptive. There is absolutely zero downside to using virtual hostnames, and it is mandatory for the above scenarios.

Best Regards,

Matt

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You Matt for the response.

I have gone through these two notes 962955 and 1282975.

Note 962955 describes some of the important steps and to include parameters SAPLOCALHOST and SAPLOCALHOSTFULL if the installation is not done using SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME.

But i think ,and as you said ,its more complex ,we need to take care of lot of things.

Here , there are two notes 8307 and 757692 ,which describe how to change hostname of Java and ABAP system without performing System Copy Export/Import.

Is Export/Import the only option ??Or we can try the steps mentioned in the two notes mentioned.

Are these notes can be applied to PI 7.1 system also ,performing the steps for Java and BAP individually .

Regards

Ajay

Edited by: Ajay Sandal on Oct 7, 2009 10:58 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

After all the conversation above, i still do not understand the purpose of going for a Virtual Hostaname for a system which is already installed and you are not intending to go for HA also.

The changes to the hostname are not primarily recommended as the system may become unstable. In this case a System Copy would to this job better.

Cheers....,

Raghu

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu ,

Well ,till now ,we have been using the physical host name for Standard or Distributed Installation as well.

But at this time ,the PI system is a Standard/Cenrtal system installation with DB and SAP on one host , we have been questioned that why Virtual Hostname are not used for the installation since it has some advantages.

So i am looking for the the exact advantages in this case by using Virtual Hostname and also the best way to achieve it.

Hope things are more clear now.

Regards

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Yes, those Notes can be used to change the hostname. You will see, however, that the process is not without risk, especially for Java. The export/import I referred to primarily referred to the DB, which is the only available method. There may be other Notes to check, too. I have not done a search lately.

Best Regards,

Matt

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt for the information.

Will close the thread now.

Regards

Ajay

Answers (0)