cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to format table Cell text with HTMl Bullets ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

How can I add HTML Bullets to a Table Cell Text?

Thanks, John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can't use plain HTML. As a workaround you could use a Caption as editor and set the "iconSource" to some bullet icon.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Armin,

Does it work if there are multiple lines in the Cell and each line needs to be displayed with a bullet separately?

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

No that's not possible. You can only use a normal TextView as cell editor to display multiple lines in a cell. Maybe a TablePopin can help.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know Armin has his point, but I'd rather just say "It's not possible, sorry." - WDP limitations. Same case as scrolling tables, you can do them, with some "tricks", but when the trick is too expensive or will generate too much effort to maintain, usually it's better just hurt the layout a bit.

Regards,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

What does that mean "same case as scrolling tables"? In NW 7.1 tables have a normal scrollbar, in NW 7.0 they have paginator buttons, so what?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

I hope this refresh your mind:

I think use popins only to have a simple <LI> element in your page is like, killing a rat with a shotgun. Even more when you need to create an Image in order to do that. WDP should provide something in order to achieve this, since it's been in HTML since.. stone age.

About the Table discussion, I think both versions 7.0 and CE7.1 should have both styles, and the developer decides what is best to use in each case. We both know that's not the case and ** I think **, it will never be considering WDP nature.

EDIT: well, it looks like HTML works in here.. in the bullet above I was refering to [ LI ].

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by: Daniel Ruiz on Oct 7, 2009 9:44 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

My comment about crappy workarounds was related to table scrolling. In release 7.0, a table has no scrollbar, but paginators and I recommend to use it as implemented. And when such an application is deployed to a 7.1 runtime it will immediately have a scrollbar (with the same server-side scrolling as the 7.0 version) without any change in the application. If there would exist a real workaround in 7.0 I had no problem with it, but I don't know of one.

Concerning the pop-in: The poster obviously wants a list inside a table cell. Web Dynpro does not provide this so I propose to use a table popin. What's the problem?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I said before, it's like killing a rat with a shotgun.

I see this exactly like the thread linked. It's not supported now, maybe in future (CE7.2???) will be. Just use what you have now, what's supported and what makes sense to use in place.

And I will support what I'm saying as the topic says "Table Cell" and not Popin. They are way different UI elements in my opinion.

Hope you get my point, this is a pretty useless discussion since I don't think the poster will achieve what he REALLY wants anyway.

Regards,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think it is up to the thread creator to decide if my proposal is useless or not. But we live in a free society.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Armin, Daniel

Seems like I have to live with the limitations. I do not want to use a table pop-in, think it may not make sense from a readability point of view. I will have to convince my users somehow

Appreciate your help.

Thank you, John

Former Member
0 Kudos

What about using a read-only TextEdit or a TextView as table cell editor and using line breaks and "-" for formatting?

For example:

Context
+ Rows (node)
   + Items (node, singleton=false)
      + text
   + formattedItemsText (string)

Table.dataSource = Rows
TableColumn.tableCellEditor = TextView
TextView.text = Rows/@formattedItemsText

void supplyRows(IRowsNode node, ...)
{
  IRowsElement row = node.createAndAddRowsElement();
  StringBuffer s = new StringBuffer();
  for (int i = 0; i < row.nodeItems().size(); ++i)
  {
    IItemsElement item = row.nodeItems().getItemsElementAt(i);
    s.append("- ").append(item.getText()).append("\n");
  }
  row.setFormattedItemsText(s.toString());
}

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Armin,

I am already using line breaks to display the text in multiple lines, it would have been nice if there was a way to add bullets.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

John