cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webdynpro Application gives dns_server_failure Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am new to WDA, I am currently trying to implement the Flash Island elearning : [Flash Islands eLearning #1|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/elearn?rid=/library/uuid/c060b283-4a8d-2b10-b0a0-d85040140318&overridelayout=true] , but I get the error when I try to test the application.

The error is Network Error (dns_server_failure)

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.

The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

I have checked the transaction SICF, but all the nodes are active.

Could you please let me know what could be the error here? Thanks in Advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

It sounds like the hostname you have supplied for your system is not accessible on the network. You should contact your basis administrators if this is a system they manage. Generally the URL is generated using the profile parameter icm/host_name_full. If you have supplied an entry here that isn't in your corp. Domain Name Servers (DNS) then a lookup can not be done to cross reference the hostname of the URL to the IP Address of your server. If this is a local installation on your personal machine, consider editing the hosts file in your windows/system32/drivers/etc folder. Map your IP address to the hostname you have supplied to your ABAP system to bypass the DNS lookup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes you are right, Domain Name Servers (DNS) is not in my corp. Could you please help me on how a lookup can not be done to cross reference the hostname of the URL to the IP Address of the server.

Nonconformist Pagal

P.S: This isnt a local installation.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You really don't have DNS at all in your corporation? Do all your internal websites only use IP addresses? You wouldn't be able to use any URLs without DNS. How do you log into SAP with the SAPGUI? Do you use IP addresses there as well? I would check with your network administrators about that. The correct solution is to use DSN and create a DNS entry for the hostname of your ABAP-AS so that the URL can be resolved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I was wrong in saying that DNS is not in my Corporation. I apologize for the same. I have given the IP address and URL in a WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. But I still get the same error. We do not have a Basis administrator in our project now(yet to be assigned). So could you please let me know how could I use DSN to create a DNS for the hostname of my ABAP-AS. Thanks.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

These are Network errors that you are receiving and not related to the SAP applications. You really need to discuss this with your local network administrators. DNS is not something you setup on your SAP systems or anything to do with SAP software. This is basic network infrastructure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for all the help. The error was that in the browser, for people who might encounter this error later: I had to uncheck the proxy settings in the path (For IE) Tools->Connections->LAN Settings. Uncheck the box 'Use a proxy server for your LAN'.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

If you company acutally uses an internet proxy/firewall, you will need that setting to reach anything on the internet. Generally companies that have proxies, add their internal server URLs to a proxy exception list. Once again this is something you need to discuss with your Network administrators.