cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query in Device Registration Criteria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need some more details regarding Device Registration Criteria. When I access the transaction SDOE_DEV_REGISTER, by default only the attribute name 'USER' is Mandatory. With this setting when I register a application on client, it registers for any available device.

I understand that I can make more parameters mandatory for device registration in the above transaction and this is fine.

However I see a potential problem with this. Say I am installing my application(using Custom Client) at a customer site who is already using some SAP Specific Standard Application. Now in this case its quite possible that the mandatory parameters for registration are different for SAP Standard Application and my custom application.

How can we handle such scenarios? Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Shubham

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The mandatory attributes for registration should be relevant to the device and not to the application that is being installed on that device. These attributes are used to identify the perticular logical device in the DOE with which the physical device is to be associated with.

As this is only a one time activity per device, it should not be coupled with the application/s which are a dynamic entity and prone to change/differ with time.

Regards,

Ramanath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramanath,

Thanks for your response. Let me explain my scenario again.

Suppose SAP delivers a Service Order Mobile Application on NW Mobile 7.1 platform for Windows Devices. For this application there would be a device created in the NW Mobile Server and registered from inside SAP's Windows Client from the Physical Mobile Device . This client might only want a user OR device name for registration

Now I want to have another application on the same windows device that DOES NOT Runs inside the standard SAP Windows Client. It runs on my own client (developed by calling DOE APIs directly). So in this scenario for one mobile device we will have two devices in the DOE. Now say in my client I want one device one user feature.

How can this be done?

Regards,

Shubham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I correctly understand you, you are looking for application specific registration criteria / parameters.

I guess this is not possible with the current SDOE_DEV_REGISTER transaction and handling.

Regards,

Liji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Liji,

Thanks for your reply.

I am just wondering if there is some other workaround as it is most likely to happen that two vendors supplying two different product on NW Mobile Platform use different criteria for registration. In such a case asking a customer to put 2 different Servers or asking the vendors to change their product code might not be feasible option

I will raise an OSS for the same.

Regards,

Shubham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes , that is true..we already saw few requirements on these lines to support these parameters application specific.

I suppose these parameters are stored client specific(mandt specific) and one workaround would be to have different application data in different clients of DOE server. I have not tried this , but i guess this should be possible.

Regards,

Liji

Former Member
0 Kudos

As i understood, there is one physical hardware device. On this you have two client and you want both of these to be separately registered.

If both the clients are working on different application they will have different persistency. So provided application does not interfere among themselves, the easiest solution can be to have two different logical receivers in the DOE, the registration parameter to have some unique attribute say receiver name, and then from the two different client on device use the relevant name while registering.

Also in case the applications can work on different mandt in DOE, then in different mandt you can configure registration parameters differently.

regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The mandatory attributes for registration should be relevant to the device and not to the application that is being installed on that device. These attributes are used to identify the perticular logical device in the DOE with which the physical device is to be associated with.

As this is only a one time activity per device, it should not be coupled with the application/s which are a dynamic entity and prone to change/differ with time.

Regards,

Ramanath

AjithC
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Shubham,

The device registration criteria is for entire system and cannot be configured per application. One of the best possible alternative is to make device name as mandatory instead of user..

Or you can use receiver generation to create devices with specific device attributes filled and use that as registration relevant fields.

Regards

Ajith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajith.

The solution 1 will not solve the problem as I will not have control on SAP Standard and Other Companies Mobile Application Registration Parameters.

If you can put some light on the second point as to how I will not face this problem while creating devices using Receiver Generation with some example that will be really great.

Regards,

Shubham

AjithC
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Shubham,

Basically device registration parameters are for identifying the correct logical device for the physical device based on the values of the parameters specified at the time of registration.

This is not application specific as at the time of registration you might be not aware of the application that is going to be installed (unless you use setup package).

So by default only user name is considered for registration, which is under the assumption that each user uses only one physical device..

Each applications internally uses device attributes for distribution criteria. The value for these attributes need not be set from the device at the time of registration. Infact these must be set via receiver generation so that you can avoid wrong values entered by application users during registration. So it doesn't matter what other applications (say SAP standard apps or other vendor apps) asks for device registration parameters, because these varies from one customer to another.

So now what is required is a unique way to identify the correct device, if a single user uses more than one device.. You can choose any other device attribute (either standard or custom; ) say for example device_type and set different values for the different usages. You can then instruct your end user to enter the value as per the device type they have..

Hope this clears all your doubts...

Regards

Ajith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajith,

Thanks for your detailed response.

However the point that I am trying to raise here is that if a customer A is already using some mobile application that has changed parameters the next application has to change itself inorder to register with the DOE in the same client.

I would also like to understand how this receiver generation data object will work. Is there any documentation available on the same.

Regards,

Shubham

sivasatyaprasad_yerra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check this link to understand of receiver generation objects in detail:

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/60cb74ba-3480-2c10-e383-9fefe665af60]

Edited by: Siva Satya Prasad Yerra on Oct 6, 2009 12:37 PM