cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementation of Support Packs and Updates

paul_davidson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What can the business do to convince the IT-Basis group that it is necessary to implement changes, specifically Support Packs?

We had a corporate wide Go-Live January 28, 2006 in 4.7 ext 2.0. We have not implemented any Support Packs since the start of our testing in April 2005. Basis is currently at SAPKA62047. HR is at SAPKE47041. Finance and Logistics are at SAPKH47022. Yet, the Basis team is reluctant to make any changes in the system until September at the earliest.

In Finance and HR/Payroll it is essential to be up to date with the current laws and reports. Thus, the business side is supporting the implementation of all the Support Packs from April 2005 to current. What arguments, data or assurances can we present that would ease the fears of "making a change" that IT will understand?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul

One way I Can think of is using side-effects report

Please visit www.service.sap.com/notes

Select Side -effects of SAP Notes

Now there you can select the product and current SP levels

and the target SP levels

It gives you report of SAP notes which relates to bugfixes which are contained in the newer SP levels

Now someone need to go through and find critical notes of these

Ravinder

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No response or over 2 months - assumed answered

Former Member
0 Kudos

First off, you don’t specify the amount of custom created ABAP within your SAP system nor the number of individual SAP notes that need to be applied since you are not up to date with current SP/LCP.

I would suggest that the business makes the case for an ITIL compliant change management process to be implemented (if not done so already). This would then allow for a balanced approach to the number of changes being created and applied to any production system and the amount of testing required to be SOX compliant and to be confident of continued business continuity. ie your production system is still safe.

Tools to help include Service Desk and CHARMS, both of which can be found within SAP solution manager. There are a number of external tool sets that also add value including the Mercury Test Toolset for automation of test cases. Lastly , the timely application of SP & LCP is just good house-keeping, this should actually mean less work for the Basis IT team in the long run.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

I believe it the right time for your organization to put in place a change management strategy.

Like said above there are few tools available to you to suppor the process.

What we usually recommend our client is to automate their regression test strategy as much as they can, so testing does not become a burden and IT is not afraid of moving things to production.

Since your project is still recent you should capitalize on your documentation that not yet too obsolete to create automated regression test using SAP eCATT. You have been almost 6 months live, you can compare your original test plan with your system usage, adjust the plan with what you actually use. Automate your testing so you can test every support pack with less effort and make IT happy.

I hope this help.

Gilles

samoun@innovantconsulting.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

I always thought the IT is there to serve Business, not the other way round ...

Apart the option to read all SAP Notes (which is a good one, but also a very time consuming one), there are a number of (non SAP) Tools that could do impact analysis of SAP Support Packs, to determine Risk Factors and get Lists of things to Test.

Two Examples: For HR Legal Packs: Clone & Test,

for "the Rest": Assessor Support Pack Edition.

Search the Web, our feel free to contact me directly.

regards,

Fritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Frits,

Greeting,

I need to do a Impact analysis on application of HR Support Packs 23 thru 33. I want to know how will it affect Abap service packs 11, 12, 13. Can you pls advice me How to proceed

Regards,

Manoj

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Open your own thread this one is closed.

Regards

Juan