Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Models 3-Tier Vs 4-Tier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Security Colleagues,

We are evaluating the two models for our brand new ECC implementation.

We have license for GRC5.3,IDM 7.1.

Would you please share your thoughts/experiences ? much appreciated...

I am also searching for SAP recommendations.

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Can you please explain what you mean by 3-tier & 4-tier.

I've worked with various models before & not come across that terminology. If you can define them then it will help some of us who may know them under different names/terms

0 Kudos

Hi Alex:

My forum thread is on security role design.

piece based/task based approach followed till 4.5B ( profile based security).

Later, 3-tier approach followed for security roles from NW.

Now, 4-tier is being evaluated for security roles in ECC.

3- tier

organization level access role, most generic roles for a fucntion module and job specific roles.

It will have master/derived roles.

4-tier

In addition to 3-tier roles, roles with only organization level values...

Hope this clarifies...

0 Kudos

Thanks Raghu,

I won't re-hash old discussions so if you do a search on the term "enabler" with date range = all then you will get a few discussions where we have talked about the pro's and cons of using the Tier 4 approach.

Peraonally I do not recommend it for ECC implementations. There are some notable exceptions to the rule but the majority of implementations I have seen using this have been a disaster from a security perspective.

I would also debate the merit of using a task based approach, if you have a look for a recent thread with "composite" in the title you will get various opinions for and against this method.

Cheers

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alex,

Thank you for the advice.

I have gone through the previous thread.

The requirements may drive the decision. In the previous thread, it is for a small business with one company code.

In our case, we have key restrictions 10+ org levels and also considering to use indirect provisioning(position based).

Regards,

0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

It is the concept that is important. Typically this is used for companies with lots of org levels.

Bear in mind the following:

- You will not be able to run single role level SOD analysis using RAR (actually you will but the results will be meaningless).

- You will break the standard auth concept and every transaction addition will take more work for every addition.

- When you remove a transaction you need to evaluate all the auth objects associated with that transaction to judge if they need removing too.

- You will likely introduce additional risks if you have 1 enabler/org/value role which applies to more than 1 transaction role

- Your implementation will be harder to review/audit. This will increase your audit costs as they will likely need to perform more substantive tests as a result of not being able to check SOD so easy (you could say it is their problem, but it will also become your problem)

- As soon as the originators of the design leave then history shows that the implementation will end up a mess as staff are onboarded who do not understand this method.

- Increased support costs if outsourced.

Out of the many, many implementations I have audited, this concept has left most of them in a complete mess. I don't know if you work for an end user or a consultancy, if it is the latter then it would not be without precedent that your company is forced to pay for a rebuild one or two years after implementation. Very few have done it well.

This is just my 2p based on seeing & fixing it.

Cheers

Alex