cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeburger FTP Adapter And SAP PI 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Just a few questions about Seeburger FTP adapter please. Bit of background for clarity, we are doing an implementation using Seeburger FTP and sap PI 7.1 picking up EDIFACT (Orders) and returning (DESADV, ORDERSP, INVOICES). However we are not using any BIC, using another tool for EDIFACT -> EDIFACT-XML conversion (conversion agent) and in-house mapping development using graphical mapping.

So couple of things which I haven't been able to figure out from the standard documentation for Seeburger FTP adapter:

1) First is the functional ACK which we are meant to send back to the VAN is that a STANDARD FUNCTIONALITY with Seeburger FTP adapter?

2) Because we are receiving a mix bag EDIFACT interchange on the way IN, I need to split messages accordingly and pass them on to the relevant channels and mappings. By using the standard module Splitter can I achieve that?

3) Lastly some of the standard validations which are applicable to EDIFACT are they supported within the FTP adapter automatically? e.g. Counting number of messages in one interchange etc.

Any help in this regard will be really great.

regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Anyone out there who can help on the questions above please? I am quite stuck. Cause when i read the standard documentation of the seeburger ftp adapter it does talk about a lot of reports which are available on sender/reciever actions. e.g. delivered, despatched etc. Are these reports not essentially ACKs?

Please anyone out there done this implementation any help will be great.

regards

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now a Good news.

If you are using Seeburger version 2.1 (which you should be as you want it for PI 7.1), then there is an Internal Classifier and Split option for FTP adapter. You just need to tick checkbox "Use built-in splitting" and you are done. Then I believe there won't be any need for considering all these problems. The earlier version of Seeburger with PI 7.0 doesn't have such option and that could be the reason you haven't received any appropriate response yet.

Still I will reply all your questions considering that "your case is of PI 7.0". -> remember PI 7.0

>>even with just splitter we should be able to break it up?????? or am I wrong in thinking this?

No. You even need BIC or an equivalent custom module for achieving this.

>>I can't visualize where to handle the overall message count in one Interchange any suggestions?

You need to write an adapter module for this. Not sure about the code but this module has to be added before the split happens.

>> seeburger ftp adapter it does talk about a lot of reports which are available on sender/reciever actions. e.g. delivered, despatched etc. Are these reports not essentially ACKs?

These reports are the ones used at the receiver side for getting the ACKs from the receiver. Your requirement is at present for sender scenario.

Regards,

Prateek

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Duplicate..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

thank you it does help a lot.

regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) First is the functional ACK which we are meant to send back to the VAN is that a STANDARD FUNCTIONALITY with Seeburger FTP adapter?

It is the standard functionality of the EDI (i.e sending back the ack 997 message for the received edi message)rather than with the FTP adapter

2) Because we are receiving a mix bag EDIFACT interchange on the way IN, I need to split messages accordingly and pass them on to the relevant channels and mappings. By using the standard module Splitter can I achieve that?

It is possible to handle by the help of Seeburger Splitter and BIC module for the same

3) Lastly some of the standard validations which are applicable to EDIFACT are they supported within the FTP adapter automatically? e.g. Counting number of messages in one interchange etc.

This feature is supported with the help of modules of Seeburger i.e BIC will take care of splitting thie messages individually and processes them according to the configuraitons done in seeburger workbench config

HTH

Rajesh

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Function Ack are not specific to FTP. They are in general acceptable by Seeburger adapters with sender side configurations of modules. In your case, it would be very difficult to handle this without BIC as your conversion agent module then need to generated this Ack structure also which in usual case is generated by BIC. With Seeburger, you may require Classifier, BIC and Split modules for achieving Functional Ack solution.

2. Yes you can achive that using Spit module. Split module in combination with Classifier module could help you achieve processing of multiple types of business documents in one EDI interchange. I have explained this in my blog

/people/prateek.srivastava3/blog/2009/08/25/seeburger--part-6-150-classify-split-secret

3. Such validations are not made at the adapter level. But BIC module takes care of this and could throw error in communication channel monitoring in case anything does not comply.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the answer, it does clarify a few things. However still a couple of things if you can expand on please:

1) Given FTP Seeburger is not handling Functional ACKS due to limited modules we have in place, I am thinking we can construct ACKS and send them back just like other messages so that is going to be an added layer, I do have a question on this however i will delay that for now. (Do comment please if i am thinking on correct lines)

2) Message Splitting: We only have Splitter, we don't have classifier but reading Prateek's blog i am sensing classifier is more tied to the BIC, even with just splitter we should be able to break it up?????? or am I wrong in thinking this?

3) Again for validations given no BIC, I think most of the validations are possible at Message mapping level however the one in particular i asked I am not sure how to handle this because once we have split the message it is into its individual mapping now and I can't visualize where to handle the overall message count in one Interchange any suggestions?

Many thanks upfront guys.

regards

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for the reply I just went over your blog, I was wondering if it is okay with you can we have a quick chat? email or phone or messenger? Please let me know if possible have to resolve this issue today as we can't move forward without resolving it.

awaiting response

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I already provided the suggestions /solutions required for the same

Check my business card for mail id.

Rajesh