cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution manager need local SLD?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Expert,

I've my productive SAP Solution Manager system connected to central SLD (from PI system).

my doubt is do I still need the local SLD in Solution Manager?

in SMSY the system landscape informations are get from central SLD, I am not sure then if we still need local SLD in solution manager. My local SLD is currently running, but what is the usage of the local one?

Do i need also synchronization between the central SLD & local? if we connected to central SLD, what is the used of local SLD by solution manager? can I say if i disable the local SLD, it won't caused any issue?

thank you

kelly

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lay

Confusingly enough an SLD that is local to Solution Manager would be considered a Central SLD

- SLDs that are local to PI and usually PI specific - they do not normally contain all systems in the company and are generally not used as a central SLD - that said you can still have a central SLD which is not physically local to Solution Manager (i.e not on the SMD JAVA stack) but still updates it - I would not however recommend to have a PI specific SLD as the central SLD

i.e dual function SLD - the central SLD is not essential for runtime however a PI specific SLD is

You do not need a Central SLD (or an SLD local to Solution Manager0 - however it helps to list all systems in your entire organisation and also helps to build SMSY directly without manual effort and also provides automatic updates of changes in the landscape to SMSY

Hope this helps

Stuart

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you should have local SLD in solman system as if your central sld will be down it will not effect operation of solman. Also as your solman is getting information in SMSY from central SLD.

Checl SLD planning guide in which SAP recommends Solman must have local SLD as during SLD downtime no End to End Root cause analysis will be available. So if you have local SLD, you can avoid this problem.

Check this guide:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0a1a8fb-0527-2a10-f781-8b67eab16...

Extract from this guide:

During SLD downtime, no data updates for J2EE components within your landscape are available in SAP

Solution Manager. In addition, end-to-end root cause analysis functions might be limited, which might be

critical in the case of issues with production systems in your landscape that you want to analyze (especially if

you want to perform root cause analysis for issues on your SLD system). Therefore, we strongly

recommend that you run a local SLD in SAP Solution Manager. Since SAP Solution Manager 7.0 also

comprises AS Java, you can run this local SLD inside the SAP Solution Manager system itself. In addition,

set up the SLD data suppliers of your SAP Solution Manager to send data to the central runtime SLD and

configure automatic bridge forwarding from your central runtime SLD to the local SLD running inside SAP

Solution Manager.

Also, if you have local SLD installed, then you must need synchronization of this SLD with central SLD.

Thanks

Sunny

Edited by: Sunny Pahuja on Oct 2, 2009 10:38 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, we have the local SLD, but for me it seems not being used, as we are connected to central SLD (from PI system).

Then now we are in the progress to review our SLD strategy for all SAP landscape, then come out this question "if solution manager local SLD still need". I've find no clue on the forum/SDN, that's why i posted the question here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You do not need a local SLD if you already have a "central" SLD.

Anyway, it is possible to use both and synchronize (just one way or both directions) via Data Supplier function.

Regards