cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download table entries

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of the table in Production system contains 450K entries. I want to download the entire table records. Is there a way of doing it other than exporting to a local file. Since there is too many entries I dont think it is a good idea to display all the entries and save it as a local file. Can any one please advice on this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A side note --> something which I noticed from the same OP around the same time:

I guess the ABAP route is being explored ...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we had once the request to download an amount of data from a table (wich may exceed the memory limits

if done over SE16).

What we did on the Oracle system was using a dedicated Oracle user with SELECT privileges to the table in question.

We used him in an ODBC datasource wich pointed to the Oracle Instance of the SAP system and used the ODBC to extract into XLS , Access , you name it....

We have the policy to make it possible to invite other clients to the SAP-Oracle Instance for these tasks

(check out INVITED_NODES Parameter in PROTOCOL.ORA, SQLNET.ORA)

bye

yk

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

YukonKid, this looks like a good idea, but your SAP license prohibits this. you cannot use a non-SAP application to access Oracle DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

99% of the time we need only one or few tables to extract from. It's a kind of Reporting snapshot because we don't use the ODBC sources (or similar) in applications.

Another technique are database links wich gives you another extract option .

Sometimes the good , old SQL comes to the rescue when the board wants to have these figures and you have no ABAP development resources at hand to program that stupid little extract program (and according to Murphy' s law breaks down because developer thinks memory is cheap and an unlimited resource)

I agree:

Normally you would extract the table's data in a file per SAP procedure and FTP it to your target system (i.e. ORACLE).

where you could use i.e. the extended table feature to load the data into the DB.

bye

yk

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd go for a small ABAP doing a select and writing the output directly to a file.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I hope you are not planning to put them in Excel?

depending on your needs, solutions exist.

so, what do you plan to do with 450K records?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I would like to have them in excel if they can be downloaded. This is to compare with another Table that IDW provides us. We have a program that takes in 2 excel files as input and lists out the differnet entries in them. So this is for the comparision purpose.Thanks

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excel 2003 cannot handle more than 65K lines

Excel 2007 can handle 1 million records... but do you really want to import so many lines in Excel?

Maybe MS-Access is a better option.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nope. My question was not where to download the entries. I want to confirm if it is ok to display so may entries at a time on a prodcution system. Will the system not hang if I try to display all 450k entries at a time??

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

most probably, you won't be able to display these records in a SAPGUI session, you will probably run out of memory or your session will time out... but this will not hang the server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh ok.. Please advice me on how to go for it then??

Former Member
0 Kudos

450K rows is not so much, even I also don't see a reason to put them into excel. If the average row length is 100 bytes, then you have 45mb data, if the row has 1kb then it would be 450mb, at this point the SAP system might run into memory issues, but your pc also will.

You can try to load a part of the table and check how much memory is beeing used. It will be significantly more, than the net data amount. You can use transaction SM04 , SM50 and ST02 to monitor the memory usage. The memory will be freed, after you exit the transaction.

Regards, Michael

SAP works best, when put into excel!