cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications of processes parameter change

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

We have IXOS running on oracle 8i.We are constantly getting alerts regarding number of sessions exceeded.For that we wanted to increase number of processes. Does it have a impact on the hardware we use it .How do we judge it .Thanks in advance .

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ambarish,

here is a nice post about the impact of increasing the processes parameter:

Regards

Stefan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any reason why this question is an exact duplicate from your (open) post about the same issue ()? As I said there, the implications of raising SESSIONS and PROCESSES are small - the thread referred to in the previous reply is indeed very useful but it deals with the impact of very high settings, larger than what you will have in a SAP environment. Raising SESSIONS and PROCESSES to a value that can accommodate iXOS should not cause your system any harm.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats true.but the problem is that if we change and end up in a soup.This is a production system .So wanted to be absolutely sure before we make the change.Thanks in advanc e.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You are of course right to be concerned about any change in production. According to your first post you have SESSIONS set at 60 and are getting alerts because iXos is hitting 85% of this number. The risk of having programs fail because the sessions limit is hit is probably much higher than the impact of raising SESSIONS and PROCESSES. I would advise the following:

1) Verify whether there are iXOS recommendations for Oracle parameter settings, similar to what exists for SAP systems with notes 124361 and 830576

2) If no formal recommendation exists, increase the value of PROCESSES and SESSIONS by a reasonable amount. Because there is an implicit relation between the two parameters (if SESSIONS is not set, Oracle calculates its value from PROCESSES) you should change both parameters by the same percentage. In you situation - but this is of course an arbitrary choice - I would begin by raising SESSIONS from 60 to 80 and in line with that also increase PROCESSES by one-third.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats true.but the problem is that if we change and end up in a soup.This is a production system.

Then test the setting in a test environment first - cheers Michael