cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client copy or heterogeneous copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have a doubt. what is the best practice to solved this scenario?

A customer have Windows 2003 with Oracle 10g and we have many settings that serve in other customer, but i don´t know what is the impact if i export the client (SCC7)here and import in the other customer (windows and MaxDB). In this case, the heterogeneous copy is the solution? or is the client copy enough?. Are two different installation numbers, two different companys. What happen with the secure store, order request, modified objects in the client export-import case?

Thanks a lot for your concepts

Alberto Gil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In neither cases you will be able to "merge" two clients. You can, of course, create a client copy from one system and import it into another. Client copies are database and operating system independent.

However, client independent customizing as well as support package levels and custom (Z*) tables must be identical on both systems, otherwise the import will fail.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus,

what happens with the objects if the two systems have different licenses? Each systems is of a different customer number.

Alberto Gil

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> what happens with the objects if the two systems have different licenses? Each systems is of a different customer number.

Objects are not copied, you have to make sure DDIC, support package level and custom tables are identical, otherwise the copy will fail.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In this case I will recommend to do the system copy. And you have to go for Heterogeneous System copy.

Hi Markus,

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Shambo

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In this case I will recommend to do the system copy. And you have to go for Heterogeneous System copy.

> Please correct me if I am wrong.

True, but a heterogeneous system copy is a migration (database change) and a migration implies having a certified migration consultant on-site. If you do that on your own, you'll loose support for problems during and after the migration.

See

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

--> FAQ

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank everyone for their valuable assistance, now is clear for me the procedure.

Alberto Gil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are on the Windows 2003 + Oracle Platform & want to copy data from this to Windows + MaxDB using client copy?

This is your requirement right?

Then I will suggest to have Hetrogeneous System Copy. As your database platforms are different.

Heterogeneous System Copy is the only solution in your case.

For more information check

[https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/osdbmigration]

[https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/systemcopy]

Thanks,

Shambo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shambo,

For your question, i want copy from windows-oracle (current installation) to windows-maxdb (future installation), are two different companies, two different Installation numbers.

The idea is used some of the "current installation" settings as the companies are similar.

Alberto Gil

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> For your question, i want copy from windows-oracle (current installation) to windows-maxdb (future installation), are two different companies, two different Installation numbers.

The installation numbers don't matter. The client independent part must be identical.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Still not clear with your requirements.

May be this can help you a bit to your query::

A client contains mainly user master data,application data,client specific customizing data.

Now if you want to do client copy then all these data will be copied to your another system in your case oracle+maxdb. However in client copy you have to ensure that your repository objects in both source & target system must be equal that means SPs level in both system must be same.

Hope this can guide you further that which data you want to copy & what is your specific requirment.

Thanks..

Mohit