Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching off unused J2EE services

former_member184154
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there!

I have a question regarding J2EE services. We all know SAP J2EE WAS is a very rich implementation but... Suppose you don't need a bunch of those services, and you would like to maximize your box performance. Beside "common" way of tuning, could switching off unused services be an option? (e.g. I don't use web dynpro, so why keepin' it up?)

Technically speaking, how difficult is it in your opinion? Specifally in finding services' dependencies?

Politically speaking, and contract and license wise, is it feasible? Will SAP still support me on services that are still swtiched on? (Given that they don't malfunction because of one the service I have switched off, of course...)

I am referring to a NW CE instance, particularly.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Cheers,

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

For 7.0, there is the note https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/871394 - but it seems there is no note for 7.1.

Even the 7.0-note is old and has entries not existing any more and does not cover all services existing meanwhile; some entries are also not helpful and leading into the wrong direction, so one should read the Excel-File very carefully and should know what one is doing if turning off services...

The bad news is that (solely) turning off the (superfluous) services, at least if you have a portal running (on 7.0), this does not decrease the startup time very much. I'm just digging deeper for more ways to optimize this, and also hoped shutting down the services would help efficiently, but... 😐

Best regards

Detlev

former_member184154
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Detlev. Your opinion is much appreciated.

The note you point me at is very interesting, indeed, in particular the sentence

Due to security reasons customers have the requirement to disable unnecessary services and applications on production systems.

sounds good to me for what I aim to.

Actually I am trying to speed up a j2ee app (that usually runs on JBoss, IBM Webspshere, BEA, etc) made of jsp/servlet and a bunch (kind of 2k...) ejbs, which runs as a breeze on JBoss, while seems a donkey on SAP AS...

Should you have any extra info, please let me know.

Cheers,

Alex

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

For the startup of the server, I just examine the startup times of applications, which seem to have more influence then just the services (of course there are dependencies); read the last (almost unreadable) answer by Markus Kohler in - this logging is quite helpful but not documented anywhere else...

For a single application running slowly, there is no obvious reason for this. This will take some special approach to determine where the bottleneck is (Introscope might help to check if it is within the server). For the app, I hope it has enough tracing build in, so that you might be able to spot fast in which part the problem lies...

Best regards & good luck

Detlev

Answers (0)