Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP4 installation - Error in phase STOP_SHDI_LAST

stefan_gabriel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a unique problem here and am hoping someone can help. When installation EHP4 SPS03 onto our ERP 6.0 system (HP-UX 11.31/MaxDB 7.6.06.06 and ERP 6.0 SPS15), I get an error in phase STOP_SHDI_LAST. Basically the shadow system cannot be stopped.

Error message in log SAPehpi.ECO:

EXECUTING /usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/bin/stopsap_shd (stopsap_shd) -t R3 -i DVEBMGS0

1 -r /usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap -u SAPQA2SHD

Checking ADA db Database

-

Database is running

stopping the SAP instance DVEBMGS01

-

Shutdown-Log is written to /home/qa2adm/stopsap_DVEBMGS01.log

/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 01 -function Stop

stop of Instance failed

See /home/qa2adm/stopsap_DVEBMGS01.log for details

Process with ID 25483 terminated with status 1

Error messsge in stopsap_DVEBMGS01.log:

Trace of system startup/check of SAP System QA2 on Wed Sep 30 21:28:35 EST 2009

Called command: ./stopsap_shd stop

-

/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 01 -function Stop

30.09.2009 21:28:35

Stop

FAIL: HTTP error, HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

stop of Instance failed

I basically cannot stop the shadow instance unless I kill off everyone shadow process manually. I have checked oss notes 525677 and 877795 but there anre no solutions to this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_gabriel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Sorry, didn't see that.

msaptmp2:qa2adm 61> sapcontrol -nr SAPQA2SHD -prot NI_HTTP -function StopService

01.10.2009 19:19:03

StopService

FAIL: NIECONN_REFUSED (Connection refused), NiRawConnect failed in plugin_fopen()

msaptmp2:qa2adm 62>

But, I change nr to 01 (not SAPQA2SHD) and add -user <sid>asm <password> to stop the sapstartsrv process. Checking unix processes, nothing is now running for shadow system.

I can now continue past STOP_SHDI_LAST step. Thanks for your help Sunny. I have raised an OSS message for SAP to investigate whether it's an issue with environment variables or how the stopsap_shd is run (startsap_shd works fine, but doesn't use sapcontrol to start SAP).

Regards

Stefan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

This is gud news.

P.S: Also, after this phase your shadow instance will not be there.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I ran into the same problem during an EHP4 upgrade.

I got around it by patching /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/sapstartsrv.

(I even just took the 701 executable; the system was on a 700 kernel at the time)

- stopsap

- kill sapstartsrv

- cp .../EHPI/abap/exe /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/sapstartsrv

- startsap

- repeat the phase

Regards,

Thomas.

stefan_gabriel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your reply.

When I run your command I get the following error message:

msaptmp2:qa2adm 155> sapcontrol -nr 01 -prot NI_HTTP -function StopService

01.10.2009 14:16:43

StopService

FAIL: Method 'SOAP-ENV:Envelope' not implemented: method name or namespace not recognized

I can stop the shadow instance manually by running the following:

/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 01 -user <SID>adm <password> -function Stop

But I am unable to get past the phase STOP_SHDI_LAST. If I stop the shadow instance manually and re-run the phase the following error message occurs (SAPehpi.ECO):

1. Phase STOP_SHDI_LAST:

BLOCKED SIGNALS: ''

SAPehpi> Starting subprocess 28207 at 20091001130425

ENV: DIR_LIBRARY=/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/bin

ENV: JAVA_HOME=/opt/java1.4

ENV: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/bin:/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/jvm/jre/lib/ia64/server:/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/jvm/jre/lib/

ia64:/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/jvm/jre/../lib/ia64

ENV: PATH=/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/bin:/sapdb/programs/bin:/opt/java1.4/bin:.:/home/qa2adm:/usr/sap/QA2/SYS/exe/run:/usr/b

in:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/usr/contrib/Q4/bin:/opt/perl/bin:/opt/ipf/bin:/opt/nettladm/bin:/opt/fcms/bin:/opt/wbe

m/bin:/opt/wbem/sbin:/opt/sas/bin:/opt/graphics/common/bin:/opt/atok/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/contrib/bin/X11:/opt/sec_mgmt

/bastille/bin:/opt/drd/bin:/opt/dsau/bin:/opt/dsau/sbin:/opt/resmon/bin:/opt/firefox:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/ignite/bin:/usr

/contrib/kwdb/bin:/opt/mozilla:/opt/perl_32/bin:/opt/perl_64/bin:/opt/sfm/bin:/opt/swm/bin:/opt/sec_mgmt/spc/bin:/opt/ss

h/bin:/opt/swa/bin:/opt/hpsmh/bin:/opt/thunderbird:/opt/gwlm/bin:/opt/OV/bin/OpC:/opt/OV/bin

ENV: SAPSYSTEMNAME=QA2

ENV: auth_shadow_upgrade=1

ENV: dbms_type=ADA

ENV: dbs_ada_schema=SAPQA2

EXECUTING /usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/bin/stopsap_shd (stopsap_shd) -t R3 -i DVEBMGS01 -r /usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap -u SAPQA2SHD

Checking ADA db Database

-

Database is running

-

Shutdown-Log is written to /home/qa2adm/stopsap_DVEBMGS01.log

Instance DVEBMGS01 was not running!

In the past, we were able to 'hack' the control files to set steps to complete but don't seem to be able to do it with this one.........

Regards

Stefan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

You have not given command correctly.

instead of system number give shadow system SID.

Thanks

Sunny

stefan_gabriel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ok, I seem to have an issue with sapcontrol not making a trusted connection to stop the shadow system. If I manually run the same command that sapehpi runs, I get the same error (/usr/sap/eh4/EHPI/abap/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 01 -function Stop).

However, when I run it with the -user <password> switch, I can stop it successfully. Unfortunately, I cannot get past this point now as sapehpi tries to run the original commands and errors out even though the shadow system has stopped.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Stefan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Try to use below command to stop your shadow instance manually:

sapcontrol -nr <SHDSID> -prot NI_HTTP -function StopService (run it from directory <upgrade directory>/EHPI/abap/exe)

Then continue with EHPI. Then please let me know the result.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

We've recently had a similar problem when starting the downtime phase of an Enhancement Package implementation (NW 700 to 701). sapcontrol was unable to stop the system via the trusted connection.

SAP Note 927637 was useful for us particularly the section related to domain sockets and the permissions of kernel file sapuxuserchk. The owner of this file should be root:sapsys with the set-user ID in place (4770).

As mentioned in the note, sapstartsrv uses sapuxuserchk for authentication (via the Unix domain socket /tmp/.sapstream5##13 )

Therefore, to resolve the problem, you can start by checking if the domain socket exists (and owned by your sidadm user). If it doesn't exist, you can fix the sapuxuserchk permission/owner, restart the sapstartsrv process (may need to restart r3 instance). This should properly set the domain socket.

After that, sapcontrol should be able to work. I think this would be preferred to manually issuing the failing sapcontrol command.

Edited by: Majed Salamah on Jan 18, 2010 9:24 AM

Edited by: Majed Salamah on Jan 18, 2010 9:42 AM

stefan_gabriel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Main instance and shadow instance are on same server.

Thanks

Stefan

stefan_gabriel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Main instance and shadow instance are on same server.

Thanks

Stefan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Is your shadow instance and original system on same server ? If not, then you have to stop shadow instance manually.

Thanks

Sunny