cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM is not exploding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleagues

I am using variant configuration with a class 300, in my current setup I have a webshop where end user selects/configures the material and places an order.

Now my question is while I enter the same BOM header material directly in sales order (VA01),I see a system generated message that this material needs to be configured and after configuring the material, I only see the header material and BOM is not getting expoded in sales order. However, the same material when gets configured thru webshop appears in sales order with its sub materials.

I am not sure If i am missing any specific config settings in order to have BOM to explode in sales order as well, please suggest.

Regards

Kalpesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Verify your settings as mentioned in the OSS notes;

Note 549341 - FAQ: BOMs in the sales order

Summary

Symptom

1. Frage: Is it possible to explode a bill of material for the replaced material after a material determination?

2. Question: Does the system always round the quantity up during the creation of a bill of material?

3. Question: Which settings are required to explode a bill of material in the sales order?

4. Question: Can I also explode multi-level BOMs (no configuration)?

5. Question: How does the system force a new BOM explosion during copying?

6. Question: Which unit of measure is used for the subitems during the BOM explosion in the sales order?

7. Question: Does the system display the number of a BOM alternative in the sales order?

Other terms

FAQ, bill of material, BOM, VA01, VA02

Solution

1. Question: Is it possible to explode a bill of material for the replaced material after a material determination?

Answer: Yes it is, but only if the replaced material is created as a main item. If it is created as a subitem for the replaced material, the bill of material cannot be exploded. See Note 486680. The standard system does not support a BOM explosion after a material substitution on subitem level.

2. Question: Does the system always round the quantity up during the creation of a bill of material?

Answer: Yes. You cannot change this setting even through Customizing.

3. Question: Which settings are required to explode a bill of material in the sales order?

Answer: Two settings are required:

• The structure scope of the item category must be 'A' or 'B'.

• In the BOM, the item must be indicated as relevant for SD (item detail -> Status / long text).

Also see Note 454937.

4. Question: Can I also explode multi-level BOMs (no configuration)?

Answer: Yes. In this case, this is not a structure explosion in a structure explosion as described under point 1. Therefore, multi-level BOMs can also be exploded.

5. Question: How does the system force a new BOM explosion during copying?

Answer: you can activate the new BOM explosion in the copying control on item level using the indicator

'Explode structure / free goods'.

6. Question: Which unit of measure is used for the subitems during the BOM explosion in the sales order?

Answer: In the sales document, only the component unit of measure is used during the BOM explosion! See Note 491735.

7. Question: Does the system display the number of a BOM alternative in the sales order?

Answer: No, this is not possible in the sales order. Due to the BOM explosion in accordance with the selected alternative, this information is implicitly contained in the order.

Also you may be interested in Note 454937 - Explanation of the BOM explosion

Summary

Symptom

The functions of the BOM explosion and the meaning of the structure scope in Customizing of the item categories is not clear.

Additional key words

TVAP-STRUM, multi-level, MEHRSTUFIG, BOM explosion

Cause and prerequisites

Solution

Explanation:

The explosion of a bill of material in the sales order, no matter if single- or multi-level, is only controlled via Customizing of the item category (structure scope TVAP-STRUM) or the entered main item.

The system already determines all components of the required structure no matter to which level they belong during the creation of the main item via the entered material and creates it as a subitem later.

This in return means that a control concerning the explosion of further structures on the level of the subitems (multi-level) is not required and also not supported. During a BOM explosion, no further structure explosion is executed.

If a structure scope is assigned to the item category of the corresponding subitem in Customizing (VBAP-STRUM = 'A' or 'B'), this does not affect the entire BOM explosion. During the explosion, the system only processes message V1578 "Structure explosion for item & is not possible" as an information message in this case. Thus you should not maintain a strucure scope for subitems.

In the case of the configuration, you can also decide during the structure explosion (structure scope = D) whether only configurable assemblies or all assemblies should be exploded. You can make this setting in the configuration profile. If you set that all assemblies should be exploded, the system also explodes non-configurable assemblies according to the above logic if the structure scope on these items is blank.

Regards,

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Check in COnfigurable Profile config Intial screen and in the Process tab ...Knowledge BOM and In Item category BOM/Configuration tab....

The item should have Bill of material.

Regards

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kindly check the Order Item Category in VOV7.In Bill of Material > Structure Scope should be A & Application should be SD01.

Best Regards,

Ankur

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ankur

I can not chnage the settings of structure scope to A because this is configurable material, even when i read the help in item category it reads as

"When you are using configurable materials, the structure scope determines whether it is possible to configure the material in the sales document. In the item category, you must enter either C or D as the structure scope for configurable materials."

I have not tried, but not sure the impact, despite above mentioned suggestion,if i could change the current setting of structure scope from C to A.

Regards

Kalpesh