cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Historical Data and Transactional Data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I was recently asked how I would design an InfoCube for the user to see Historical and Transactional data in the same cube.

I am little confused about the answer since all the data in the cube becomes historical as soon as latest data (Transactional data) is loaded.

Thanks,

-BC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Belly,

Welcome aboard!!

Historical data and transactional data are usually kept seperate. We use cubes for historical data and ODS for transactional data. What best you can do is store the details in both and then join them in a multiprovider.

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Sriram,

Thanks for the reply. I want to know how it can be done on 1 cube.

Could the answer be: dividing the cube by "valid dates" on navigational attribute or Hierarchical model?

Regards,

-BC

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

udayabhanupattabhiram_cha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

If you want to have both Historical & Transactional data in the same cube, make sure you use Cube Partitioning.

This only applies if the BW is installed on Oracle.

Ram Chamarthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The design depends on how much data you are having. If you have lot of data its better to use them separately.

When you create a cube you load historical data from source systems through a full load and later you will be doing delta loads to process new records.

As for as the data is conccerned a cube can contain both historical and transaction data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Belli

Welcome to SDN

There are different ways to do depends on your requirement the general way is create two different cubes one for History and other for current Transactional and club them in a multiprovider for reporting.

Hope this helps

Thnaks

Sat