cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homepage Framework: launch external URL for service?

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am almost...ALMOST...to the point of beating my head against the wall. For ESS, I am setting up a fairly customized Homepage Framework (Area Group page with 6 Area pages). I have a LOT of ESS related external URLs for various forms, policies, etc. that I want to link as services. Soooo I have defined each one as a service with the setting "Direct URL launched in a separate window" and assigned my custom resource to this. The resource is simply defined with a key name and the URL to the external link. I would think that in runtime, a link would appear on the Area page showing the text as define by the service I configured and when clicked by a user, it would launch an external browser window directed to the URL as I defined in the resource. But this is NOT happening. In fact, nothing happens at all. The sparce documentation seems to suggest that this is possible but I can not figure this out. Is this actually possible or am I missing something?!?! I wouldn't think I need to define a PCD page/URL iView combo for each and every form and link them that way (yes, I did that just to show that at least that works but again, that would be insane for 50+ HR forms/links that change often). Any advice greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I too faced this kind issue with external urls but found a way out and could make the system work,

In the LPD_cust for Application type instead of using URL use "Portal Page" and in Path to page: instead of giving PCD path, give the url of external site like http://www.google.com. This will fix the issue.

0 Kudos

Hi,

This thread is marked as answered but I am also getting the problem of all the parameters being passed in the URL and can't see a solution for it. Did anyone figure out how to call "http://www.google.com/" without all the extra parameters?

Does the Service need an entry in "URL in PCD page"?

Also if I don't put "_blank" in the Resource then the link does not appear in the Homepage Framework.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do agree. The question with extra params is not answered. I mean ignoring them is not the proper way from my point of view. I tried a lot of combinations, putting values into fields within homepage framework and also in conjunction with PCD properties but without positive result. So would be great if someone can post a helpful info on these ugly params.

Thank you very much in advance,

Alex

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also make sure your iView (portal side) parameter is not marked for either "open in new window" or.....drat....there is another one slightly above that one that is a drop-down....you want it to say "load in content area" or something like that...but not "open in new window".....not sure why there are two parameters for that now......actually jsut found them the other day.....new ones I guess with recent service packs. Good luck!

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@chakri and Shafiullah

The Window parameter set to "_blank" will indeed open a NEW browser window. That is just a typical html "target" parameter....like "parent", "self", etc. Leave the parameter empty to simply have it open in the content area of the portal.

As for the "extra" info attached to your URL, do NOT worry over that. It is ok. The portal does that by default with info that really only means things to itself. The URL you assign will just ignore the extra URL query string parameters it gets sent.

Hope this helps!

*hey! I answered questions in my own thread! hahaha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the reply.But my issued is not yet solved.The URL is launched in new window with extra info and give the follwoing error message "The Page Cannot be Found".

Regards

Mirza

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solved it myself...and for others for future reference.....

3 different ways all worked:

-assign your SERVICE setting as "Direct URL launched in a separate window"

-for the RESOURCE attached to the service, I put the URL either in:

(1) the Directory Path

(2) Object Name (no idea why this actually worked!)

(3) URL of Resource Object field...makes the most sense

-the KEY was this...in the WINDOW NAME field put "_blank" which is of course good ol' web coding meaning "launch in a new window". haha I just assumed this would be done for me by the setting I made in the SERVICE itself thus allowing me to use a resource in other ways. But that's what I get for assuming...haha.

Hope this helps others!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Did you use New ESS Business Package(Web Dynpro based) in different languages? We see texts related to ESS/MSS Framework Page in English even if we are accessing the portal(ESS/MSS ) in other languages.

If so what did you guys do to solve this issue.. if you faced it? Please reply..

Thanks

former_member184564
Participant
0 Kudos

Chris,

Any chance you can sense check the below...yours is the nearest similar problem...

I am just trying to get a link on the Homepage framework overview page to kick open a web page in a new window..

Area Page:

Area Link Text 'my test link'

Area Link Type 'URL Direct URL Launch...'

Link Resource 'Z_MY_RESOURCE'

Resource:'Z_MY_RESOURCE'

Window Name '_blank'

URL of Resource Obj 'www.google.com'

Service:'MY_SERVICE'

Service Type: 'URL Direct URL Launch...'

Link Resource: 'Z_MY_RESOURCE'

On my portal homepage I see 'my test link' I click on it but nothing happens.

Any ideas. I think what I have doe tallys with your advice.

TIA

J

former_member184564
Participant
0 Kudos

OK solved it but it required Portal content...the changes I made are asterisked

Area Page:

Area Link Type 'Portal Page Call...' **

Resource: 'Z_MY_RESOURCE'

Window Name NOT USED **

URL of Resource Obj NOT USED **

URL of PCD Page ROLES://<valid URL iview> **

But this is a pain because i have to create portal content just to kick off a new window with an external URL, when it looks like it should be possible using the homepage frameowkr config...

former_member184564
Participant
0 Kudos

Whoops that should read

Area Page:

Area Link Type 'Portal Page Call...'

Resource: 'Z_MY_RESOURCE'

Window Name '_blank'

URL of PCD Page ROLES://<valid URL iview>

Put your iview in the your portal rol at 'ROLES://<valid URL iview>'...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christopher,

Your answer helped a lot. I created the resource as you mentioned and the service also and assigned the resource to the service. Its getting displayed in the portal but when I click that, a new window is coming up but its adding some extra text like this after my URL.

I gave http://www.google.com as the resource object field.

and _blank as the window name.

When I click the link its coming in a new window, but after the URL I am getting some thing like this: http://www.google.com/?sap-ext-sid=3pu2H6veaJmayo9Xsrs1LA%3D%3DgOWeUiI5GP7%2BZnCgAzvrBw%3D%3D&sap-wd...

Please advice, if I need to do anything from the portal side or any othe thing that I am missing.

Thanks,

Chakri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chakri,

I'm Facing the same problem.If you have solution to it.Appreciate if you can mail me to shafi4ever@rediffmail.com

shafi4ever@lycos.com

Regards

Mirza

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

This just saved me a lot of time on investigation The _blank did it, also for me. Even in 2014 a usefull tip !

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Igor