Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRBACKUP query

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

(ECC 6 on Win+Ora)

The archive log backup was failing for around a week and our archivelog directory was 100% full, so I moved about 10 GB of archivelogs to another location.

Then we executed an online backup+archivelog backup using BRBACKUP. The backup was successful.

However, those 10 GB of archivelogs were not backed, obviously because they were in another location.

I copied those archivelogs now back to oraarch directory and executed online backup+archivelog backup.

But it did not backup those 10GB of archivelogs.

I am assuming that the database woudl no longer need those archivelogs (else they would have been backed up).

So, my question is, are those 10 GB of archivelogs now not required?

Can I delete them?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

This is a classic trap. Because BRARCHIVE's last archive pointer has moved beyond the set of archive logs you temporarily moved to another directory, it will never back up these archives again, leaving you with a gap in your archive log backup sequence.

If this occurs in the future, I recommend you do one of the following:

- Either change the archive log destination temporarily with the ARCHIVE LOG START command. You find a complete explanation in SAP note 0000391.

- You can also use 'brarchive -n <numlogs>' to only backup a specific number of logs instead of all the logs available.

For now, I suggest you make a separate non-BRARCHIVE backup of the skipped logs and just keep track of this extra backup in case you have to do a recovery. When all the backups that need this set of archive are obsolete, you can get rid of this backup.

Regards,

Mark

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is there anyway that I can backup these remaining files using BRBACKUP?

What changes should I make to the parameter file initSID.sap in order to achive this?

Thanks.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will only need the redologs from the moment of the online backup onwards to do a recovery to a point in time.

Now if you want to recover from the previous online backup then you will require those redologs to take the system to the point int time those logs where writen.

Hope is clear.

Regards

Juan