cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostics - How to patch SMD Agent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Colleague,

I will have to install the SMD Agent on all managed system of my SAP landscape.

Do you know how this agent is patched ?

I know that both Wily IS Agent (Introscope Java Agent) and Host-level Introscope Agent) are updated from SAP Solution Manager and deployed to all managed systems.

But how do we patch the SMD Agent (Java instance) ?

Thanks

Best regards

P.C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PC,

There is no mecahnism to patch the SMD agent. You can only uninstall or Re-install it.

You have to have SMD agent per SID -> Irrespective of stack.

SMD agent is not specific for JAVA alone. You have to deploy (Wily bytecode agent Java) Interoscope agent through SDM for Java Stack and Host agent comes as default with installation of SMD agent.

By doing managed system configuration, you are configuring its applications to report to solman.

The upgrader facility of Diagnostics, automatically updates the agents(here both host & byte code agents- which are already configured to solman).

Hope this helps.

revert for any issues.

Thanks,

Jagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jagan,

Thanks for your answer, but in SOLMAN_SETUP transaction, you can read :

"As the Diagnostics agent belongs logically to the managed system it is updated automatically with the update of SAP Solution Manager. This means that in case of an upgrade, it is not needed to update the agent manually."

I have clearly understood that both Wily Agent are updated (patched) by upgrading SMD in SOLMAN.

So, regarding the SMD Agent, we have to un-install and re-install to ugrade it ?

Best regards

P.C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PC,

Thats the only option i can think of.( i have not seen any requirements). Can i know reason behind this specific question- of upgrading the agent?.:). Just curious to know.

Thanks,

Jagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jagan,

The SMD Agent must be installed on all managed system.

If you have 45 SID in your SAP landscape and you have to install the last SMD Agent version, you need to know

how to deploy the new SMD Agent version.

By reading the SOLMAN_SETUP content, I have seen that you just have to upgrade SOLMAN to have the SMD Agent updated.

Then, all managed system attached to SMD in SOLMAN will be automatically upgraded.

Best regards

PC

Edited by: Pascal Cuennet on Sep 30, 2009 11:02 AM

0 Kudos

Can anyone please describe how the auto update works. What exactly is the source for the update. Are these MIME objects delivered with a spesific SC in the Solman?

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rene ,

Please check in the following link

Diagnostics Agent Maintenance Procedures - SAP Solution Manager Setup - SCN Wiki

Thanks ,

Manu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello folks,

Was wondering too if any way to update / patch SMD Host Agentu2019s executable.

I could not find any SAP document on that.

Checking our own AIX kernel that came with the install e.g. u201Cjstart u2013Vu201D, I saw that the patch # was 37, in the context of kernel 7.11_REL UNICODE, compile time Jun 6 2009. It to be noticed that in the exe directory there are just some of the u201Cfullu201D kernel folders present (it makes sense, because it is just a Java env.).. In my case there are 79 u201Cfoldersu201D in the exe dir. Please note that one of it, u201Cservicehttpu201D is a directory.

Thus, my thoughts on a potential way to patch the SMD Host Agent SAP Kernel is to apply that pool of kernel components that matches the SMD Agentu2019s executables.

Thus, first download the kernel 7.11 latest patches e.g. from (Entry by Application Group -> Additional Components -> SAP Kernel -> SAP Kernel 64 BIT UNICODE -> SAP Kernel 7.11 64 BIT UNICODE , then uncar these and rm a script that will copy only the folders that are present in the installed exe SMD Host Agent exe dir as well. Also, is should be checked to that all the files in the SMD Agent should be part of the updated kernel. If not, then I will not recommend to do it, since SAP may have something special for the SMD SAP Kernel.

Have not tried yet to perform this procedure, but is very tempting, since for 7.11 AIX the default install is at patch level 37 while today the corresponding 7.11 patch level is 92.

Please, note that this is just a personal look at this issue and absolute not a SAP recommendation. Maybe the fist question should be u201Cwhatu2019s the need for the SAP SMD Agent u201CSAP Kernel Upgradeu201D? The more correct and recommended way will be to open a customer message with SAP, e.g. asking to u201Cblessu201D the SMD Agent Kernel upgrade procedure described above.

Kind regards,

C.P.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PC

SMD Agent is not 'patched' like solmandiag (.SCA packages) and willy components, but it is installed using SAPinst in remote Java systems.

navigate to service.sap.com/diagnostics

In section 'Installation and Configuration' you will find 'Diagnostics Agent Setup Guide'

For eg. Diagnostics Agent 7.11 Setup Guide or Diagnostics Agent Setup Guide SP15 etc.

You may want to refer some Notes too for discovered problems

Note 1144737 - Inst.NW 7.0 SR3 - Diagnostics Agent installation