cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get hold of a SAP Test environment for my .NET integration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am planning on developing an SAP connector for my software in order to be able to communicate with an SAP instance from my program. I am planning to use the .NET connector. The SAP data that I am mainly interested in is material data like BOM, Stock levels and material reorder points, but also material purchases, their lead time and replenishment quantities.

My problem is that I don't have access to an SAP system in order to develop and test my connector and how SAP interacts with my program. I need to know from which SAP business objects that I have to communicate with, get data from and update data to.

Are there some good advice out there on how I can solve this problem and get started with my development work?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Younes

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Dorian
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Younes:

There is a subscription program available at very reasonable rates that provides fully functional SAP software to developers such as yourself. I use it to develop my own SAP integration product. See the "Subscriptions" link on main SDN page for details.

The downside of this program is that it does not currently include the IDES test / training system, so although you have the SAP environment, it has no data.

There are several companies that offer subscriuption access to SAP systems with data, however they are pretty expensive. One of them is the SAP Consulting Exchange - you can find the group on LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com - you need a free registration to access the group if you aren't already a LinkedIn member.

Also, SAP have their own hosted application platform, but that is very expensive (for a small company like mine anyway!)

Last alternative is to maybe hook up with a local customer that will give you development access to build your product in return for a break on the product licensing fee.

Regards,

D.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dorian,

Thanks a lot for your answer!

What about the NetWeaver trial version that I saw is possible to download? Could that be a solution despite that fact that it is probably time limited?

Regards,

Younes

Dorian
Participant
0 Kudos

Younes:

Yes, that is also an option.

The downside, as you say, is the time to expiration. I guess once the license expires you can delete everything and download again to get around that.

There are two huge advantages to the subscription model though. The first is that you get to register your own namespace for any objects that you develop. So, if you develop a report called ZMYREPORT, it may well conflict with a customer object. With the SDN subscription you get your own namespace; in my case the report would be called /SOACONN/ZMYREPORT, which is guaranteed to be free of any conflicts. The second advantage is support; with SDN subscription you get all of the updates / SP's and you get your own SAP Service S-number. In the event of any issues at all, you use the S-number to log your own OSS messages and get support from SAP just like a "regular customer".

Regards,

D.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dorian,

Once again, thanks for your advice!

Where do you get price information about the subscription option?

I might contact you for more advice down the road when I start to get into the nitty gritty details

Best regards,

Younes Lousseief