cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Growth Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

I am in the early stages of planning a SolMan 7.0 SPS20 installation. The functionality requirements are to implement RCA / SMD and Solution Monitoring for a production ECC6.0 system, production PI 7.1 system, three non-prod ECC6.0 systems and two non-prod PI systems.

I have used the quicksizer tool to size the system and have a figure for the disk allocation required. However, I notice that the DB size of basic solman with RCA increases linearly after a initial rapid increase ~20GB. I assume this is because SMD posts very detailed data (for Workload Analysis & Exception Analysis) into the BI client of SolMan which is then aggregated after one month. You then end up with a rolling month of detailed diagnostics statistics, and an ever increasing amount of aggregated data in the BI client.

My question is: Are there any archiving / space management strategies that can be used to limit this DB growth?

For example, if you were able to archive data from the BI client that is over 12 months old on a rolling basis, then the DB growth in terms of SMD data collection would essentially become static once you have been collecting data for more that 12 months.

I have read a fair amount of documentation regarding archiving BI data from regular BI systems, but I'm not sure whether this applicable to the SolMan BI client. It also looks to be a cumbersome process to carry out regularly.

If anyone can offer any information, I'd be insterested to see you opinions / recommendations.

Many Thanks,

Ben

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Benjamin

SAP Solution Manager has limited archiving functionality. Here are some of the

objects that can be archived:

Projects

Solution landscapes

CRM transactions (service tickets, change requests, change documents, issues)

Monitoring data in the Central Performance History database

Test packages and test cases

The size of the data for the above objects is not excessive however. Where large data can

accumulate is in the linked documents within projects. It is possible that this data can grow

several hundred megabytes in size each week, especially if document versioning is used.

Service sessions such as SAP EarlyWatch Alert Reports and Service Level Reports can also be

archived if necessary. SAP Note #546685 describes the archiving process in SAP Solution

Manager for operations activities.

If you intend to archive SAP CRM transactions, such as service desk messages or change requests, note that these messages may be linked to test cases, projects, solutions, and other objects and archiving these messages may remove this relationship.

Even though SAP Solution Manager does not include a comprehensive archiving function for most scenarios, you can still minimize database growth. Before any data is deleted, however, one must consider if there is another way to preserve the data, for example placing the objects into a transport, or moving the objects to a separate file server.

Monitoring Reports

For example, SAP EarlyWatch Alerts and Service Level Reports can be stored on a separate file server, and then the session

data can be deleted with the report RDSMOPREDUCEDATA

Solutions

Solutions can be copied to a transport file with the transaction SOLUTION_MIGRATION. Afterwards these can be deleted from

SAP Solution Manager within a work center, or by the report RDSMOPDELETESOLUTIONS.

Projects

Projects can be copied to a transport file with the transaction SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN (accessible from the work center

Implementation/Upgrade). This procedure only saves the business process structure and all linked documents. It does not

secure reference objects such as messages, issues, or test cases. The transaction SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN is also used to

delete projects.

Archiving in SAP Solution Manager (Operation) #546685

Nesimi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The housekeeping job E2E_HK_CONTROLLER should be running in your solman system. Please check. If not refer to note 1178655.

Regards,

Krishna