cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver Enhancement Package 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My company now is planning to upgrade our current Netweaver 7 with EP1. I have a read a very good and interesting blogs from Dorris in http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/u/8818. [original link is broken] [original link is broken] However I failed to post another message in that blog.

I have some questions. Anybody, please help.

1. Is SPS for SAP Netweaver EP1 and SAP Netweaver EP1 itself are under different package ? I mean, can I choose to install the necessary SPS first, and then continue to install EP1 ? This is because, I notice that if we apply EP1 with corresponding SPS only to Dev system, then all the transport cannot go to QA and Prod system already, since transport between system with EP1 installed to system without EP1 installed are not supported by SAP. So, If they are separate installations, then I can choose to install SPS first, then do regression testings, afterwards only I install the EP1 which will not need any further testings.

2. According to note 1248905 and your blog, it is said that SAP maintain a equivalent support package stacks. If we have already had the SPS installed in our Netweaver 7 system up to SPS19, do we need to install again SPS 3 after installing EP1 ?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Can I do the installation in following below sequences ?

1. Install SPS5 for EP1.

2. Install EP1.

Thanks.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No.

Let me explain you. e.g: If your system is on SPS19 then directly upgrade it to EHP1 SPS5.

If you have installed EHP1 SPS5 it means you have installed EHP1. where does question come to install EHP1 again ?

under EHP1 there are SPS1, SPS3 SPS5 etc.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your input.

Last question still not clear to me. Does it mean that if I apply SPS05 for SAP Netweaver 7.0, it already contains the function enhancement from EP1 ?

I am looking at the possibility to apply SPS05 first, then do a regression testing, and then apply EP1.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

See if you are not applying EHP1 then you will not get the functioanilty of it.

SPS equivalence level does not mean that you have applied EHP1.

In order to clear your doubt check SAP note 1245473. Please find below extract from this note:

Support Package Stack level Equivalence

The installation program performs a check for SP Stack level equivalence.

An enhancement package includes all corrections of a specific SP Stack

level for the comprised components. For example, Support Package Stack 00

of enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0 contains the same

corrections as Support Package Stack 16 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0. This means

that these SP Stack level are equivalent.

You need at least the equivalent SP Stack level in your target release

system.

If your SAP system contains more than one usage type, the enhancement

package that you want to install must have an equivalent or higher SP Stack

level than the SP Stack level for all usage types implemented in the

system.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

1. But, does this mean that we have to copy dev, qa and prod server to three copies of servers to do testing there ?

2. No, what I meant was, let's say in our Netweaver 7 now, we have installed up to SPS 19. If we want to upgrade to EP1, I read that this EP1 upgrade have to install the correct SPS first as a prerequisite. From the note, SPS for EP1 that is equivalent with SPS19 is SPS 3. Now the question is, can we direct go to apply EP1 without need to apply SPS 3 since we have already had SPS19 now ?

3. From installation package, are SPS3 for EP1 and EP1 itself are in separate installation package ?

Thanks.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

> 1. But, does this mean that we have to copy dev, qa and prod server to three copies of servers to do testing there ?

>

No, just make a copy of your prod server and do the EHP1 upgrade. And there do all testing. why you need copy of all.

> 2. No, what I meant was, let's say in our Netweaver 7 now, we have installed up to SPS 19. If we want to upgrade to EP1, I read that this EP1 upgrade have to install the correct SPS first as a prerequisite. From the note, SPS for EP1 that is equivalent with SPS19 is SPS 3. Now the question is, can we direct go to apply EP1 without need to apply SPS 3 since we have already had SPS19 now ?

>

No, just select your source stack and then target stack as EHP1 SPS03 or 05. Then start upgrade.

> 3. From installation package, are SPS3 for EP1 and EP1 itself are in separate installation package ?

>

like you have SPS in same way in EHP1 you also have SPS like SPS3 , SPS5 etc.

Thanks

Sunny

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> 1. Is SPS for SAP Netweaver EP1 and SAP Netweaver EP1 itself are under different package ? I mean, can I choose to install the necessary SPS first, and then continue to install EP1 ? This is because, I notice that if we apply EP1 with corresponding SPS only to Dev system, then all the transport cannot go to QA and Prod system already, since transport between system with EP1 installed to system without EP1 installed are not supported by SAP. So, If they are separate installations, then I can choose to install SPS first, then do regression testings, afterwards only I install the EP1 which will not need any further testings.

>

First thing SAP also does not support transport between two system having different releases. e.g. If your dev is on SPS18 and QAS is on SPS 15 then also it is not recommended to do the transport.

So, better option is do the EHP1 upgrade on your sandbox system which can be copy of your PROD and do all the testing there. Once your testing will be over then you can do the upgrade in dev. But you have to freeze your landscape for sometime.

> 2. According to note 1248905 and your blog, it is said that SAP maintain a equivalent support package stacks. If we have already had the SPS installed in our Netweaver 7 system up to SPS19, do we need to install again SPS 3 after installing EP1 ?

>

Yes. If you have installed SPS 19 then it does not means that you have installed EHP1.

Thanks

Sunny