cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP installation on Linux-HA + oracle RAC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Am Instalalling SAP ECC 6.0 (ABAP only) on Linux-HA + Oracle RAC.

I have total 4 physical servers

2 servers for SAP for which High availability has to be taken care by Linux - HA

2 servers for DB for which high availability is taken care by Oracle RAC. These servers of DB are not done with any type of OS clustering.

As of now i have completed build of Oracle RAC and now have to start SAP installation.

From above as you understand i have distributed environment with HA in 2 different aspects i.e., SAP servers HA is to be acheived by Linux-HA and the other aspect DB servers HA is achieved by Oracle RAC.

Now when i start SAP installation i have started SAPINST with HA option of installation.

the sequence to be installed using HA option is

1. ASCS Instance

2. DB Instance

3. Central instance

My Db instance do not have OS clustering n HA on DB is achieved by Oracle RAC.

I would like to understand whether using HA option of SAPINST for Installation of DB Instance with out having os clustering is recommended or not.

Have anybody done this type of similar setup?

If my approach is not advisable thn pls let me know the right approach to proceed further.

Note: SAP file systems ,,/sapmnt n /usr/sap/SID are on shared disk

All oracle file systems are also on shared disk

Appreciate your reverts asap.

Regards

Samiuddin Syed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before I finish reading your questions there is something that pops into my eyes:

> 2 servers for DB for which high availability is taken care by Oracle RAC. These servers of DB are not done with any type of OS clustering.

If I take a look at SAP Note 527843 "Oracle RAC support in the SAP environment" I can see the following:

Linux (x86, x86_64, IA64, Power):

General Availability on Red Hat and SuSE Linux.

RAC 9.2/10.2:

Oracle Clusterware + OCFS2 1.2.x (x higher or equal to 3) or

Oracle Clusterware + Network Appliance NFS or

Oracle Clusterware + EMC Celerra NFS or

As of SLES 10 Support Package 2 or RHEL 5.2:

Oracle Clusterware + OCFS2 1.4.x

RedHat Linux: OCFS is available at: http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/files.

SuSE Linux: As of SLES9, OCFS2 is contained in the distribution.

AFAIK, that means that your SAP installation will NOT be supported because you need some clustering at OS level.

In addition, I do not know how you can share a database without any type of OS clustering.

It may be that I have not understood you properly, in that case sorry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have deployed Oracle clusterware + OCFS2 file system for DB servers.

Do you mean that i need to have an OS clustering on DB servers too otherwise the SAP Installation is not supported.

Regards,

Syed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean that i need to have an OS clustering on DB servers too otherwise the SAP Installation is not supported.

No, clusterware and ocfs is fine. Theoretically with the sapctl package even the SAP HA (ASCS with enqueue replication) could be integrated with the oracle crs. But if you don't install the clusterware on the SAP nodes, then you need another cluster solution for the SAP part.

Regards, Michael