Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to secure folders in a BI Role.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In BI, when you use profile generator, on the menu tab you can create folders. Then, put specific reports into each folder.

Does anyone know how to secure the folder itself?

We want one role for Payroll reporting. But, would like the separate folders inside the role to holdl payroll reports for different countries.

Any ideas are greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Penny

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Penny,

You really should build a separate role for each country based on this requirement. I am assuming that each folder has different queries. Country 1 should have access to one folder and country 2 should have access to a different folder.

The folders cannot be secured individually and each country would have access to both sets of reports. So, unfortunately, two roles would be needed.

Kind Regards,

Joe Klein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. for your response Joseph.

So, when the user logs in, they will see only their role and reports. Is this correct?

Then, what about an Admin, are we going to see 20 or 30 roles across the top of the portal? We were trying to 'group' the roles some how.

Right now we have some different payroll containers. UK, Australia, US, etc. Each one has their own container. When I log in, I have to scroll through so many of the different containers or roles. Is there no way to group them? Like have one for Payroll and then list the UK, AU, US?? Or does this list of roles in the portal keep getting longer and longer?

Hope this makes sense. Maybe they are called tabs. Like System Admin, User Admin, then we have UK PAyroll, US Payroll, etc. How can I group those tabs?

Thanks so much for the help and insight.

Penny

0 Kudos

Hi Penny,

I have a follow-up question... Does the user see all of the reports (and folders) via the portal? If so, there is a way to filter based on country that the user is in. We did this on my last project.

However, I am in the area of SAP/BI security rather than portal security. I will unfortunately have to differ this to question to a portal guru.

Regards,

Joe Klein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

I too am on the SAP/BI side and do not know the portal well.

Our users normally get access to just one or two of the folders that we call containers. Each container has different reports.

This is fine for our users.

However, someone like me who has many containers, I have to scroll through 20+ containers. I was wondering if I could group those containers.

Thanks,

Penny

Former Member
0 Kudos

We will be using BO and there is no longer a need to solve this issue in BI Portal.

Thank you to all who responded.

Penny