cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timestream & Calendar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are setting up the SNP Process and we are are using a daily bucket for planning.

The factory calendar allows to define the working days(Mond to frid) in conjunction with the holiday calendar.

Do I need to create the time series calendar or not.

Can anyone provide an example in which case we need to create time series calendar.

Reg

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi

if you have assigned the calendar factory calendar to the relevant Production/Handling resources then you need not maintain the ptime stream at the loaction level. Location Production calendar time stream is used for a central control at the location lavel for all the associated resources. Other than that shipping calendar, receiving calendar are used for specific requirements like a shipping off day ... etc.

-Regards

Virender

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

To complete your knowledge on Time streams management and the previous answers, here is a link to a good free document on how to perform mass maintainance of time streams in SAP APO: goo.gl/xzm0N

Very useful I hope this will help you too,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The calendars are critical in our business case(100+ countries), because each country has it's own working pattern and it's holiday calendars are different.

I have created time series calendar and assigned in the location master just to meet the system requirment.

Why TIme series calendar? why not, just the calendar?

Virender thanks for your earlier reply.

Regards

Ravi

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

APO is technically different from other SAP Applications especially R/3 or ERP.

Calendar (Factory Calendar) is used everywhere. In APO there is a technical component called liveCache.

Anything that is scheduled against time (down to second level) needs to be generated in liveCache.

That is why Timestream is introduced in APO.

The TimeStream or simply put various types of Calendars (Shipping, Receiving, Production) are a way to create suitable object in liveCache allowing scheduling. Its the simplest form of "calendar" in APO using the Factory Calendar from R/3 as a reference.

The R/3 calendar is essentially a Factory Calendar specifying the working days and holidays. The TimeStream in APO needs to working times and the working days in a week to be specified along with the Factory Calendar. As a result when "TimeStream" is generated in APO its a timecontinuous "stream" at seconds level with breaks for the non-working days (holidays and weekend as specified in the Factory Calendar).

The other way of having TimeStream in APO is from Resources. There you provide the Factory Calendar and working times in the Resource Master. Additionally you can define Shifts and DownTimes. All these put together provides the "resource timestream" that is used for scheduling of operations of the orders.

If there is not resource maintained then system uses the TimeStream Calendars instead for doing the scheduling. If suitable Resource (Inbound and Outbound Handling Resource) is available then the Resource Timestream is used for scheduling.

Hope this helps.

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Somnath,

I was seeing this thread. I wanted to Clarify that if both Receiving Calendar ( time Stream) and Handling resources are defined, then is the GR Scheduled over the Receiving Calendar Workday or the resource Workdays.

I have observed in my system that it is giving preference to Receiving Calendar. for example Let's say if i remove a day out from the Receiving Calendar, then GR is not scheduled on that day, though that same day is though present as working day in the factory Calendar of Handling Resource.

Any thoughts please ?

Thanks,

Pawan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ravi

If you would have noticed we can assign a calendar to a time stream. The calendar works as a base for the

time stream and over and above it if you want quick maintenance you can also do that. Normally the use of time stram

quick maintenance with detailer planning. Yes you are true in saying that you can do a detailer level setting in a time stream which is not possible in a calendar but its not specifically for PPDS. NOrmally where there are large number of locations mapped especially FMCG planning its not possible to have so many calendars in place and keep on updating them from RSA1.

So common calendars are used and over and above it if some maintenance is required for specific location its done through Time stream.

-Regards

Virender

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Virender/Somnath,

Thanks for the inputs. But I'm unclear about the system technical requirements.

We can assign the calendar in the Resource, but in Location we can assign only time series calendar. And also in Transportation lane we can assign only Time series calendar.

What is the techincal difference between them. The only difference I'm aware is, we can maintain the working times in time series calendar but not in Calendar.

Does it mean, it's more of PPDS requriment to have Time stream, since we calculate the scheduling to the detailed level.

Can you please elaborate a bit more.

Thanks

Ravi

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Timestreams (/sapapo/calendar) are used to define the Shipping, Production, Receiving calendar at location level.

In the timestream you put the Factory calendar (having holidays). SNP will plan / schedule GI, GR time based on these calendars maintained as timestream. If there is Handling Resource maintained and assigned to locations then that gets considered otherwise the timestream / calendars are used.

Its better to have the Shipping, Production and Receiving calendars to be maintained and assigned to your locations.

Somnath