cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium text for a text variable?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

I am using a characteristic in my query, which is defined to be displayed as medium text. In a query table it shows correctly. However, when I use replacement path to show that characteristic on column header, it is only showing the short text, which is not sufficient.

Is there a std solution for this or does it go to the category "it's not a bug, it's a feature"?

I'm thinking of using a customer exit to solve it otherwise.

Cheers,

Lauri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member195980
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the display settings in the context of the InfoCube.

This setting is often used to display variables texts and does not change automatically with changing a characteristic.

Go into InfoCube-maintenance and you'll find those settings somewhere in the menu (don't have system access to check it at the moment).

Regards,

Beat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beat,

Thanks for reply. I did do those changes under Extras menu in the IC maintenance and that way I got the medium texts on my query. However, I still have the problem that the medium texts are not substituted to the text variable.

Cheers,

Lauri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Notsure on the "limit" of column length.. but 40 CHAR lent column header look some thing "unusual" requirement..

Is it getting "truncated the medium text? (or) is it picking up the "shart text"

regards,

hari

former_member195980
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the setting of the InfoObject, the Structure-Specific setting in the InfoCube and the setting within the query don't work for this, there might be no possibility to change that text!?

Beat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

The system is really picking up the exact short text, which is too universal in description for the column.

That's a good point that 40 char header is a bit absurd. In our case, the needed medium texts are between 15-25 char long and would provide correct descriptions.

One idea besides the cust-exit would be "forcing" the business to maintain more descriptive short texts, but it would be a huge task.

Cheers,

Lauri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any thing other than this..

Hmm..1)

may be "VB excel coding".. but i think User exist is much better than that..

Hmm..2)

The only good way is "fight back with users" to restrict them for 20 Chars.. - sorry .. just kidding..

Actually Searched all the documentation in the morning and little experiements on my system.. but whole RnD left me no points mention.. I did not see any restriction either on Text Variable lenth and also on Column header in doc..

So no, more points from myside..

Please update here if you found anything!!

Best Wishes,

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi H and B,

Thanks for the effort! I came to the same conclusion that std doesn't seem to help. VB for example doesn't help on our web layout.

Furhter problem, forcing the text into 20 char proved a bit difficult, as in R/3 the short text field is only 12 chars (HR qualifications in HRP1000 table).

I'll discuss with users if they can fill enough info on 12 chars or then make medium text description to have enough info on first 20 chars and substitute that into our short text in bw extractions.

If not, then I'll start working on the exit. I'll let you know, if I get a breakthrough somehow.

Cheers,

Lauri