cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating custom client with DOE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

I'd like to develop my own client for SAP NW Mobile and I've read the document available on SDN : [Integrating Custom Client with Data Orchestration Engine (DOE)|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/30e033a0-73ef-2b10-b291-b653c3b48385].

However I don't know how much effort it would take to create this kind of application.

Has anyone done this before? How long would it take to create a basic custom client?

Regards,

Pierre

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajeswara_srao
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Pierre,

Apart from the comments from Ramanath, the following needs to be considered while thinking about efforts.

1) Do you want to develop a generic client framework which is independent of application?

2) Which technology you want to use on client side (.NET or Java or any other device specific)?

3) How rich this client should be (basic sync, advanced features deployment handling etc); related to point 1 above.

4) Do you want to write some custom handling on DOE for some reason (e.g.. transform the content given out by DOE) to reduce processing effort on client

5)

If you understand the document correctly, you should be able to develop a very good basic client in about 4 weeks by one experience developer. That's my gut feel.

We will be happy to hear back how much time you actually took when you finish. All the best

Regards,

Rajeswara Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like to develop a simple client (Proof Of Concept) and then a generic framework if the POC is successful.

That's why I'd like to hear from these customers (or SAP employees) who have done this before.

Regards,

Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are aware of a customer live with custom built client on .Net that runs on legacy Palm devices and windows based handhelds integrated to DOE . This being a pretty complex client application were able to build it and go live in around 6 months of time is what I believe.They opted for custom client development as they wanted the client solution to run on Palm OS which the default client framework from SAP did not support.

Check [this out|http://www.sap.com/community/int/ShowDoc.epx?docid=27476&Type=Brochure]

Regards,

Liji

thomas_bonk
Explorer
0 Kudos

I agree with Rajeswara. You can do a proof of concept in two or three weeks. For an generic, advanced client you should take several men-months in account. You must adress several areas like synchronization, persistency, user management, config management, deployment etc.

We are currently developing a generic client framework for a customer upon which he builds his mobile applications. It is being developed using the .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Compact Framework 3.5. It has all components which are needed to develop and deploy OCA applications which synchronize with the SAP Netweaver Mobile 7.1.

Edited by: Thomas Bonk on Oct 23, 2009 7:39 AM; changed "SAP Netweaver 7.1" to "SAP Netweaver Mobile 7.1"

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The efforts required to develope an application is directly dependent on the complexity of the MODEL and the application that you are going to develope.

There are many customers who have developed their custom client with DOE and are running successfully since long time now.

To develope a very basic application of service order, it should not take more than 2 weeks.

Regards,

Ramanath.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> There are many customers who have developed their custom client with DOE and are running successfully since long time now.

Hi Ramanath,

Yes, this is the usual answer I get when I ask SAP employees but would it be possible to have more details? What kind of custom client was implemented, on which devices (BlackBerry, iPhone, Android, Symbian...)?

Do you have case studies or detailed examples that you can share? The only information we have today is the document available on SDN. Some code samples or blog/wiki posts would be really helpful to start such a project.

Regards,

Pierre