cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on Datasource -A.H.P, VISHVESH,ABY PLZ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

i have few fields out of which maximum i found a standard datasources form production planning

but few are left from tables like mara, marc, eket

and i found few datasources which are extracting from these tables like purchasing and inventory management Ds but they don't have the fields i want from those tables,

my doubt is can i enhance these datasource with that field i want from these tables (MARC, MARA) EKET, EKPO

but what i am thinking is like

1.WILL IT BE OKAY IF I AM POPULATING FEW FIELDS FROM ONE DATASOURCE AND ONLY ONE FIELD FROM DIFFERENT DATASOURCE that too from different application altogether.

WILL THE INFORMATION BE CORRECT LIKE WILL IT BE RELATED WITH THE DATA ALREADY EXTRACTED FROM THE STANDARD DATASOURCES OF different application (PP).

BECOZ THE TABLES AND FIELDS REQUIRED BY CLIENT IS MATCHING BUT I AM WORRIED WILL THIS MAKE SENSE when we report on it .

THANKS AND REGARDS

HARISH

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello H.B,

You can always have data from different datasources!! you need to take care when you have fields from different tables, check if the two tables are linked with some primary-foreign keys and you end up reading sensible records.

if you need data which should come out of variety of tables and no standard datasource suits your requirement, you can always think of creating generic datasources.

Hope it helps..

thanks,

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

H.B

Populating the data from different datasources depends on the structure you are sending data to , it might be possible with an ODS , but that again depends on the structure options are ;

1. Enhance the structure using user exits

2. Get the data from various data sources into independent data sources into BW and then get the same together using Update rules / routines

3. If the structures match , use different data sources into the same ODS layer in BW

Hope this helps.

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Arun, can u kindly explain me the below

<i>If the structures match , use different data sources into the same ODS layer in BW</i>

like what do u mean structure can u kindly explain with an example here my requirement is that i have key figures and characters which are coming from two different application areas as PP and MM but most of them i found in standard datasources of PP and few like say 5 i could only find in MM tables MARA and MARC and EKET, EKPO.

i am confused how these single fields will be matched with those PP fields and give readable definition.

becoz if i am getting quantity from MARA r Date from these tables how can i corelate with the already extracted data of PP becoz date & Quantity will be related to their fields how can i do this...

ABY...

can u kindly explain me how this is possible of creating a view with using foriegn key like as i mentioned earlier if Mara is having a DAte and Quantity coming from different table how should i relate do i need to add few more fields just to make this info sensible

thanks and regards

harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi H B

First of all make sure that there is some relationship (preferably primary keys) between these different tables. I think that definitely some relationship must exist.

You have 2 options

Option 1 as suggested by Arun - enhance standard extractors with few fields (from same application areas & base tables ) then build ODS layer in BW for these extractors. Once your base ODS layer is ready then you can create the Infocube layer where you have to combine the data using update routines (start routines with proper indexing on ODS objects )

Option 2 - Create a data source based on Info set query program in R/3 systerm and then do the extraction . Ensure that the data volume that this extractor goes through is minimum by using suitabl filters, indexes etc.

(This is more complicated than option 1 but if you can minimise the data volume that gets updated every day then this option is OK)

Hope this helps you

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pradip

thanks for your time and info

how can i know wats the primary foreign key between these tables and do i need to include these primary keys or foreign keys to make my view sensible.

my second doubt is how am i going to make a combination of PP and MM readable lets say

i have production order no in my pp and all other fields how am i going to combine the date and quantity form MM can u just explain me the logic please i am very much confused.

thanks and regards

harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello HB,

Different datasources will bring data at different granularity level, hence you need to be careful before merging data from different datasources. The fields which you want may be coming from a particular datasource, but make sure that data is coming at the level you want. Here functional knowledge comes handy, if you have worked on that area earlier and know things, then you can investigate and deicde which field should be taken from which datasource. Otherwise please take help of any functional consultant.

Once that part is clear, then check the technical feasibility. Identify if there is any standard datasource which delivers most fields. Use this as the primary datasource. If other fields are coming from some other datasource, please check the granularity level and also there should be some common keys between datasources so that you can merge data. If few fields are missung, you can enhance the std datasource also.

If std datasources are not there for your requirement, create view by combining fields from diffeent tables from where you want data. For that to happen, there must be common keys among tables.

Regards,

Praveen