cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't define Replication Tables - Database Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a problem to define the master replication table on the Database Studio, the "synchronize" menu doesn't show anything.

I am logged as a synchronization user "DBSERVICE" on the database.

What could be the problem?

Regards,

Miguel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What "synchronize" menu are you talking about?

The synchronization feature is deprecated with MaxDB >= 7.7 - consequently there is no GUI for that in the DB Studio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Yi,

First I want to give you the information that the MaxDB Synchronization Manager is not supported any more by SAP MaxDB.

The Synchronization Manager was removed from all releases.

http://www.sapdb.org/webpts?wptsdetail=yes&ErrorType=1&ErrorID=1183466

Because of this there will be no support in Database Studio for defining Replication Tables.

However if you want to evaluate an older version of the Synchronization Manager I would recommend the SyncManGUI.

The document SynchronizationManager.pdf should be part of the Synchronization Manager installation.

In chapter u201C2.4 Replication Tablesu201D you find a description how to prepare tables for replication.

Also I can recommend the document SyncManExample.pdf where you can find print-screens how the SyncManGUI is used.

Best Regards

Wolfgang Auer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wolfgang/Lars,

I understand that SAP have decided to remove the Synchronization Manager as a application itself, but the MaxDB documentation (http://maxdb.sap.com/documentation/) says:

"Database Studio is the new tool for administering SAP MaxDB databases. From database version 7.7, it replaces the database tools Database Manager GUI, SQL Studio, and Synchronization Manager, and it contains a GUI for the Loader tool."

Furthermore, in the help of the MaxDB Database Studio (Help -> Help Contents -> MaxDB Documentation -> Overview -> Database Administration -> Replication and High Availability -> Synchronizing Multiple Databases) all necessary steps to configure the synchronization with the Database Studio are explained.

The MaxDB Database Studio v7.7.04.35 were downloaded from the SAP Service Market Place.

Any help and/or recommendation will be appreciated. About the SyncManGUI itu2019s no longer viable, because of the clientu2019s requirements.

Regards,

Miguel

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> "Database Studio is the new tool for administering SAP MaxDB databases. From database version 7.7, it replaces the database tools Database Manager GUI, SQL Studio, and Synchronization Manager, and it contains a GUI for the Loader tool."

So what?

It does not say that DB Studio will cover de-supported functionality.

> Furthermore, in the help of the MaxDB Database Studio (Help -> Help Contents -> MaxDB Documentation -> Overview -> Database Administration -> Replication and High Availability -> Synchronizing Multiple Databases) all necessary steps to configure the synchronization with the Database Studio are explained.

So? The documentation still contains the section about the nowadays de-supported synchronization manager.

What's the issue with that?

This does still not mean, that the de-support is not real or something like this.

At "best" this means: the documentation team did not yet took the effort to remove this part of the documentation.

> Any help and/or recommendation will be appreciated. About the SyncManGUI itu2019s no longer viable, because of the clientu2019s requirements.

Well, in general MaxDB synchronization shouldn't be considered to be used anymore.

It's deprecated, gone, won't come back soon...

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Miguel,

I agree with Lars.

> Well, in general MaxDB synchronization shouldn't be considered to be used anymore. <

The support for Synchronization Manager in Database Studio will only be available in version 7.7.

In versions > 7.7 the Database Studio will not support Synchronization Manager. Even the documentation for 7.8 is already modified. If you really want to work with Synchronization Manager you will be bound to the Database Studio version 7.7 and you cannot upgrade to newer versions.

If you want to try with Database Studio 7.7:

Do you have already some registered databases and Logins (like DBA or MONA)?

1) You have to add a Login with the DBSERVICE user to your database in Database Studio.

2) Add the Replciation privilege to the Database Studio user itself.

Explorer Tree -> World Node -> <your user> -> Open -> Permissions-> Add "Replication" to granted permissions.

After this you should see the menus.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

I believe the conception of this forum is to share information/problems/errors so that we can find a solution, not to debate who's right and who's wrong.

I am performing the current configuration to fulfill the client's needs based in the official SAP documentation, and I respect your position but I don't share that we have to make assumptions of what could had happen with the SAP documentation team by not removing the synchronization topic, since they did took the time to adapt it to the MaxDB Database Studio. And is a fact that after Wolfgang's positive contribution, the replication tables could be defined.

However, thanks for your time and share your opinion.

Regards,

Miguel

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Lars,

>

> I believe the conception of this forum is to share information/problems/errors so that we can find a solution, not to debate who's right and who's wrong.

That's right - but I don't think it's a solution to implement a function that is officially dead by now.

> And is a fact that after Wolfgang's positive contribution, the replication tables could be defined.

Well, since Wolfgang is actually the developer of this stuff, he was pretty much the only person in the world that would be able to tell you about this.

If you consider this to be a solid base to implement your customer's requirements ... well I wouldn't want to be in your place when something does not run smooth with the replication stuff anymore...

Anyhow, you're of course free to disagree and dislike my opinion

regards and good luck,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree, the client was notified during the project plan. Still, they wanted to proceed...

Regards,

Miguel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Miguel,

I want to emphasize what Lars said.

> If you consider this to be a solid base to implement your customer's requirements ...

Even when you get support of Database Studio as a Synchronization Manager Admin tool.

The Synchronization Manager (server and client programs) itself is not supported and not delivered in higher versions.

There will be not bug fixes nor you can open a OSS ticket for it.

Maybe this should be reconsider when you build a solution for your customer.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Answers (0)