cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are doing a kernel upgrade for a SAP system, by mistake we have downloaded the unicode kernel and applied the same with the back up of old non unicode kernel. System didn't come up after this. We found our mistake and copied the old non unicode kernel to the kernel path but still we are facing the issues in bringing the system back.

Please suggest...

Thanks,

Venkat.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat ,

Can tell steps of .how you revert back to old version .

Thanks and Regards,

Arun Rathour

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Rename the new Kernel as old and place the existing old Kernel to it same position, where your Kernel directory will be available.

because it will come to previous Kernel level..

2) Before placing Old Kernel instead of New Kernel.

i) first stop the R/3 server and stop Database next because if u will stop only R/3 server, Database will not stop so will must stop Database also.

ii) then try to replace Old Kernel instead of New Kernel then start first LSNRCTL, then start Database then start R/3 server.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Venakat

What is your OS? DB?

In which folder you have replaced the kernel? Do you have separate dialog instances?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

OS-- AIX 64 DB--Oracle 10g.

We don't have any dialog instances.

I have copied the files to /sapmnt/SID/exe.

Thanks,

vnekat.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is there in /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run ? Chec the executables version there. Replace all the executables there

Do you have "run" folder for non-unicode? Please chec if there is any other folder which is holding wrong executables

Edited by: Anindya Bose on Sep 22, 2009 5:17 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The path mentioned was pointing to the same directory, and I 've pasted the files in the exact location.

I'm facing problems related to IGS..

I've force fully copied some files while doing the kernel upgrade with unicode files....is this causing any problem to get back the system to it's normal state with unicode kernel.

Thanks,

Prasad.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would stop SAP and database, ensure no process related to SAP or oracle is running, backup all the the executables direcotory by renaming them ( not copying) , then create folder like "run" and place all the executables in the newly created folder.

For better understanding of UNIX directory structure, you can check the following link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/27/44f17a26a74a8abfd202c4f5dc9a0f/content.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do onething, download the non unicode latest kernel files and apply. Stop SAP Application and also stop SAP related services, like SAP Oscol. Once you replace the kernel, run saproot.sh command in /sapmnt/SID/exe . So that it will reassign the permissions for the specific files. No need to stop the DB, as once the SAP System is down it does not process any requests related to DB.

You can check the kernel version by executing disp+work -v | more...