cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.1 and SOA comaptibility

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is PI 7.1 Fully compatible with SOA guidelines and principles.

or Are there any features/functionality that is only partially or not inline with SOA guidelines and principles. If there are such, can you pls tell me.

Thanks,

Mani.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A visit to the SOA homepage on SDN can help you understand the concepts: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-soa

Regards,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>A visit to the SOA homepage on SDN can help you understand the concepts: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-soa

I was not asking about soa, I am familiar with SOA background, basically worked with creating, exposing, consuming, providing, invoking,discovering webservices in java, .net using various tools.

My query is does SAP claim that PI 7.1 as a middleware fully as per SOA/eSOA guidelines released by standard open constoriums like W3C, or has SAP modified/tailored/updated/changed SOA guidelines for its PI 7.1 release.

I used several other middlewares, but most of them claim to be Mostly compatible and not fully compatible with eSOA guidlines.

I so, wanted to check PI 7.1 is stricly inline with esoa/soa principles and guidelines.

former_member183906
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP PI 7.1 is completely inline with ESOA. I had referred it in my previous reply.

you can have this example to visualize -

/people/peter.kulka/blog/2008/06/04/how-to-deal-with-heterogeneous-esoa-landscapes

http://help.sap.com/content/documentation/esoa/docu_esoa_intro.htm

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My answer would be no, not Fully compatibale. If you talk about open conortiums, they lay down a lot of standards and rules that is sometimes not required by a Middleware to follow. Same is the case here. All basic and obvious rules are followed, some would be modified and then implemented, yet another could be exclded.

Regards,

Prateek

former_member188019
Active Participant
0 Kudos

thanks for your replies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

PI 7.1 is fully compatible with SOA framework. but SOA is framework and PI 7.1 is a product. considering PI just as a product; it has several integration capabilitits beyond working just an service consumer/provider.

You can use the PI as seperate product, but for SAP framework ESOA, PI is one of the sore component.

If you will consider SOA, then this is framework where you may/may not use PI. As the ESB (Integration activities) can be full-fill by different integration tools.

In simple terms, PI and SOA can work as inter dependent and also can work individually.

Considering ESOA, PI 7.1 has majore role and ESOA framework must need PI 7.1, so ESOA framework is dependent on PI 7.1 but viceversa is not possible.

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Sep 22, 2009 1:20 PM

former_member183906
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PI 7.1 is completely inline with SOA guidelines. Even its based on ESOA (enterprise SOA).

For ref documents you can search in forum ,sap help or web.