Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI doubt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

If i want to create one IDOC,how do i know which i doc type is suitable for my requirement?

For example: if i want to create PO idoc, which i doc type i have to take?

ORDERS01 or ORDERS02 or ORDERS03 or ORDERS04 or ORDERS05?

Do we need to study all idoc segments? Or is there any other way??

And also can any one give me good informaion on EDI & IDOC.

Reward guaranteed

thanks,

kaki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

claus_wallacher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kaki,

as a general rule you should use the latest IDOC type that is available for for SAP release you use.

You can find the start release for each IDOC type in transaction WE30. When you go to the header data you find under <i>Released</i> the start release this IDOC type exists. For example for ORDERS you have the following start releases:

ORDERS01: 3.0A

ORDERS02: 3.0D

ORDERS03: 4.0A

ORDERS04: 4.5A

ORDERS05: 4.6A

That means, if you are on release 4.5B you cannot use ORDERS05, but you can use any of ORDERS01,...,ORDERS04. In this case I would suggest that you use ORDERS04 since this is the latest one available in your release, but if there are some specific reason you may also choose one of the lower versions (they are supported in the newer releases as well).

Hope this helps,

Claus

5 REPLIES 5

claus_wallacher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kaki,

as a general rule you should use the latest IDOC type that is available for for SAP release you use.

You can find the start release for each IDOC type in transaction WE30. When you go to the header data you find under <i>Released</i> the start release this IDOC type exists. For example for ORDERS you have the following start releases:

ORDERS01: 3.0A

ORDERS02: 3.0D

ORDERS03: 4.0A

ORDERS04: 4.5A

ORDERS05: 4.6A

That means, if you are on release 4.5B you cannot use ORDERS05, but you can use any of ORDERS01,...,ORDERS04. In this case I would suggest that you use ORDERS04 since this is the latest one available in your release, but if there are some specific reason you may also choose one of the lower versions (they are supported in the newer releases as well).

Hope this helps,

Claus

0 Kudos

Thank you Claus Wallacher

Full points alloted...

Cheers

Kaki

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Whatever information is provided by claus is absolutely correct.u have to decide which sap version u r using and according to that u have choose the basic type..

Moreover regarding EDI and IDOC

EDI is a third party tool and its not of Sap.It is a middle ware.The example is GENTRON.

It can used for SAP TO NON-SAP.

Moreover EDI is a subsystem...

Regarding the IDOC

1>Its a data container

2>It contains data records,status records and only one control record.

3>Data records contains segments which further contains fileds.Table is EDIDD.

4>Status records tells about the status of the idoc

If <50 (Outbound) and >50(inbound)

5>Control record contains sender receiver information and also messsage type and basic type..

Hoping this will help u.Please reward points if u find useful.

Regards,

Nagaraj

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

first get the message type using <b>EDIMSGT</b> table, here you can search it based on description for what purpose they are used etc, and from there go to <b>EDIMSG</b> table and give the message type and get the IDoc type etc.

Regards

vijay