Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver Developer Studio with Web AS 6.20

tobiashoess
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

is it possible to use the Netweaver Developer Studio with the J2EE-Engine in the Web AS 6.20 or do i need Jbuilder 5.0 with the plugin? What is the best way to develop Java Application (EJB) with the Web AS 6.20?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

you can use the netweaver-devstudio. it's at least as powerful (thinking of sap-realtions) as the jbuilder+plugin combination. which plugin do you think of? the portal-plugin?

kr, achim

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Achim,

non offensive question: How do you want to do this? None of the SAP plugins will work with 6.20 (except maybe the portal one). If you reduce it to eclipse use, well then this would be more lightweight...

Regards,

Benny

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

benny,

i didn't know that there are more plugins besides the portal-plugin (the one, that creates the .par-files).

and if my memory doesn't fool me, i've installed this plugin in my ibm websphere studio and wrote a small application that was running on the ep60sp2 (was620).

but could be, that i'm lost in the many different versions of was, ep and ide's that are/were running on my laptop...

kr, achim

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to answer some of your questions:

If you use the Deploy tool as described above you can install your J2EE components to any server that you have general access to (any possible firewall between your machine and the server should allow you to connect to it using the deploy tool port and protocol).

I don't know if you can do hot deployment on the WAS 6.20, but I don't think that you were refering to it with your question either.

Hope you get some answers to the second part of your question as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that this message chain has shown the basic problem we are currently facing with J2EE development on WAS 6.20.

We are also trying to use the Studio to assist with the development, unfortunately the documentation does not, in most cases, tell us if the feature it is describing should work on WAS 6.20 or only on a later version.

An example of this is the question I've posted in this forum a few days ago regarding remote debugging. If you read the documentation you can see that there is no reference to the J2EE version (apologies if I've mist that part), hence we don't know if the reason why it doesn't work on WAS 6.20 is because we are doing something wrong or because it is not even ment to work with it.

Hence as a suggestion, when you present new features in the Developer Studio could you please specify what version of the J2EE engine is required to run it.

(Meanwhile could someone please let me know if the remote debugging should work on WAS 6.20 ).

diegohs
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kalle,

I'm new on this thread.

I want to use SAP NW Dev Studio to develop a J2EE application. I pretend to install this app in the SAP J2EE engine (EP6.0sp2).

I made a small app for testing purposes, but I can't do the deploy via DevStudio. Then, I try to deploy the app using SAP J2EE Administrator tool, but with the same results.

The question is: Do you know if its possible to build J2EE apps in SAP NW Dev Studio 2.0.5, and deploy them on WAS 6.20 ? and what about to deploy on Portal's Engine(EP 6.0sp2) ?

Thank you very much for your help !!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

as you can see from Benny's answers to this thread above, you <b>cannot</b> use the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio (<b>SAP Developer studio = Eclipse IDE + SAP Plugins + Integration of J2EE Engine 6.40</b>) with the J2EE Engine 6.20. There are few reasons behind this:

a) The integration of the J2EE Engine in the NetWeaver Developer Studio is designed for the J2EE Engine 6.30/6.40 cluster architecture, which is completely different from the one of J2EE Engine 6.20. So, there is no way that you integrate the 6.20 engine into the Developer studio and use the convenient feature "right-click -> Deploy to J2EE Engine".

b) The J2EE development plugins in the Developer studio contain several add-ins that are not supported in 6.20 engine (for example, additional deployment descriptors)..

The general way to go with J2EE development on J2EE Engine 6.20 is the following:

1. Use an arbitrary pure Java IDE (pure Eclipse is also an option) to write Java code and compile it.

2. Everything else you do with the Deploy Tool provided with the J2EE Engine's installation:

2.1. insert application classes for the corresponding components;

2.2. configure application component using the deployment descriptor and generating corresponding archives (WAR, JAR, etc.)

2.3. assemble and generate EAR.

2.4. connect Deploy tool to J2EE Engine and deploy the applications.

Refer to the Deployment manual (also part of the installation package) for more information about using Deploy tool.

Hope that provides some guidence and answers your questions.

Regards,

Ivo

tobiashoess
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

do i have to install the J2EE Engine local or am I able to access the engine on a remote host where the Web AS 6.20 and the J2EE Engine is installed in order to develop application with the local installed IDE(Eclipse) and for the deployment? Another question: Can I install the Sneak Preview fo the Web AS 6.40 with the Netweaver Developer Studio on a remote server and the Netweaver Developer Studio on my local machine (laptop) in order to develop J2EE applications, or do I have to install all on my laptop?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Kalle answered your first question.

About the second: Generally, it is possible with Web AS 6.40 to access the J2EE Engine on a remote host. You need only to provide the appropriate configuration for the J2EE Engine location in the Window -> Preferences -> SAP J2EE Engine.

However, I don't remember if the Sneak Preview installation os Web AS 6.40 had the option to install NetWeaver Developer Studio separately. If it does, then you are good to go.

Regards,

Ivo

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You cannot use DWDS for 6.20. This is final.

What you can do is using eclipse together with the external tools delivered with 6.20. Please see:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sapportals.km.docs/documents/a1-8-4/web as 6.20 jsp demo on eclipse

that shows you how to use it.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best way is indeed to have a NW Developer Studio. Incase you have it installed, i believe you should try to solve the problem with it rather than installing JBuilder and the plugins.

Please let us know the problem you are facing with NW Developer Studio.

Which version of NW Developer studio are you using along with WAS 6.20?

Incase you are trying to avoid it, you can install eclipse and download the plugins from SDN itself and use it right away.

Let try to solve your problem with NW Developer Studio and get you off with it.

tobiashoess
Explorer
0 Kudos

There is a plugin for the Jbuilder 5 in the J2EE Engine directory (SAPJ2EEEngineJBuilderPlugin.jar). Can I use this plugin also in JBuilder X? I have the netweaver developer studio and I have problems. How can I integrate the J2EE Engine form the Web AS 6.20? In my opinion, you need it from the Web AS 6.30/6.40.

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

well, i don't know the mentioned SAPJ2EEEngineJBuilderPlugin.jar, but i suppose it's the Portal-Plug-In for jbuilder, that gives you some wizards for creating portal components (par-archives, portal components like dynpages, etc.) and the possibility for uploading it to the portal server in your ide.

which problems do you have with netweaver dev-studio?

after installing the plugin, there are new entries for configuring the access to the j2ee-engine/portal in menu window/preferences (in netweaver dev-studio it's already there, without any plugin).

and i think i used to deploy .par archives on my ep60sp2 (that goes with was6.20) and the eclipse/plugin combination. (but i'm not quite sure anymore...)

kr, achim

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

No you cannot use this plugin in any later JBuilder version.

But there is no proble to integrate via the deployment tool avaiable with 6.20.

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

wrong track. This plugin was built for Engine integration adn has nothing to do with portal.