cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a DR system (standby database) for ECC5.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I want to create a standby copy of our current Production system (Solaris10 / ECC5 / Oracle 10.2 / ABAP only) which would be used in case we lose the primary database.

The intention is to use Oracle DataGuard once the DR system has been created, and have redo log shipping done from the primary database, so that the standby DB is almost up to date with the primary, allowing for quick changeover in the event of a disaster.

My question is basically: what is the best way of going about this?

My intention was to do an install of the DR system by doing a systemcopy of our current PRD system using SAPinst (current PRD system is distributed, but the DR system will be a Central system) and doing a copy of the current datafiles as part of this process.

Can I use the systemcopy process to create the standby system, then put the DB in 'standby' mode afterwards and then start shipping the logs?

Can I just copy the datafiles or do I have to use backup/restore?

Are there other things I need to look out for that people who have done this can alert me to?

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards...John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may want to refer to

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/1cc71b42-0d01-0010-7f91-f352b58078cf] [original link is broken];

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to you all for your input.

Regards...John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Yes, you can combine the two steps provided you have the export of your production server. But once the installation of the DR server is completed, the database of the DR will be opened. So, to bring the DR database in the standby mode, you need to do a backup/restore or system copy and then create a standby control file in the Primary database and then mount the DR with the newly created standby controlfile.

After this you can synchronise the PRD and DR by shipping the archive logs from the primary site and then recovering these files at the secondary (DR) site.

Regards,

Varadhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Varadhu ,

plz guide me , we restore offline backup of primery server on DR , but the database of the DR opened.

how we will bring the DB of DR in standy by MODE

regrads

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

Normal startup command will start the database in open mode, u need to start the DB in Nomount stage then need to mount standby database with these commands on DR.

SQL> STARTUP NOMOUNT;

SQL> alter database mount standby database;

Regards,

Prashant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kishore / Manoj,

many thanks for your replies.

Kishore - rather than do an install followed by a system copy, is there any reason why I can't combine these 2 steps and do the copy as part of the install, using the system copy option of sapinst?

Regards...John

kishore_kumar59
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi..

suggesting the following

--> A fresh installaitn using sapinst

--> And do a system copy by restroing the production databse

--> mount in standby mode

--> configure dataguards

--> start the synchronization

copying the datafiles also can be done, once after the installation, but the suggested one is to restore using brtools.

make sure of enough bandwidht between your primary setup and standby setup,

take care of the log_arhcive_dest_2 which will lead to production database shut down if you shutdown your standby databse,

there is a bug fix available for the same..