cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time .NET Runtime configuration problems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I'm sure I'm just missing something basic here, but I can't get the .NET runtime working. Here's my scenario:

1. My local development PC runs Windows XP and VS 2005; I've successfully installed PDK 2.5 with Hotfix 3

2. My remote Portal server is NW 7.0 SP 19 running Windows Server 2003 x64

On my local PC the SAP MMC shows "This computer" with a status of Connected; the node Server 00 is running on port 8050.

So here's my first question: in my remote Portal system (devportal.crd.bc.ca) under the .NET Runtime Service configuration the .NET Runtime Server check server fails for devportal.crd.bc.ca:8050, but it works for ws34123.crd.bc.ca:8050 (the network id of my local PC). I've configured the portal server as devportal.crd.bc.ca:8051. What am I missing on devportal? Surely I can have the .NET runtime running in my server, not just on my local PC.

My second question: on my local PC what do I need to do to add my remote Portal server to the MMC. I've tried enter the portal address as http://devportal.crd.bc.ca:8050 and without http://

In VS 2005 it's "the other way around": In the Server Explorer tab, under the SAP node, I've got devportal added and set as the current server, using the address devportal.crd.bc.ca:50100 and the Administrator username. I can't add my local PC here which makes sense because I don't have a Portal installed on it.

From VS2005 I can publish the project, but preview doesn't work and gives the error:

com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.PortalComponentException: Error in service call of Portal Component 
Component : AroundTheIslandChallenge.PortalComponent1 
Component class : com.sap.portal.dotnet.framework.iViewProcessorComponent

and

java.lang.RuntimeException: <br>iView cannot display.<br>The request has timed out.<br>Contact your administrator if the problem persists.<br>Possible reasons:<br>1. The Portal Runtime for .NET service is not running or installed.<br>2. The .NET Runtime Servers Configuration property of 'iViewProcessorService' service is not pointing to the correct.NET runtime server.<br>3. The log-on account for the Portal Runtime for .NET service doesn't have the necessary permissions

I'm thinking the second option "iViewProcessorService" might be the problem since I can't get the check to work under the .NET Runtime Service configuration.

But I also wonder about the log-on account permissions. I'm in the Administrator group, so I thought that at least to get this going I should be able use my own login, which I've given full control over the .NET folders on the server. So here is my third question: is it the best practice to create one domain account for the .NET runtime service, so all developers and all systems can make use of the same account, and to configure that account with the appropriate permissions on the remote server and the local development PCs?

SORRY ABOUT THE FORMATTING - it looks great in Plain Text composition/editing, but it's all one block in Preview! No line breaks, haven't a clue why!

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by: Tom Benjamin on Sep 22, 2009 12:41 AM

Edited by: Tom Benjamin on Sep 22, 2009 12:42 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

1. Portal Runtime for .NET was installed and is running on ws34123.crd.bc.ca:8050 therefore "check server" for those settings is successful. In order to have Portal Runtime for .NET on your server, you need to install it on a server machine and then update .NET Runtime Service configuration accordingly.

2. MMC snap-in on your local machine is used for managing Portal Runtime for .NET nodes, not Portal nodes, therefore you can not add Portal server to it.

3. Preview after Publish tries to run published content which requires successful connection from the Portal to Portal runtime for .NET. If "check server" fails then Preview from Visual Studio will not work. By the way, after updating .NET Runtime Service configuration settings you need to restart iViewProcessorService in order that new settings will be applied.

4. User account mentioned in the error message you got is required only for running Portal Runtime for .NET service. It doesn't have to be a domain account, it could be a local account with permissions to all mentioned folders.

Best Regards,

Rima

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Rima.

Installing the Portal runtime on the server is what I was missing. I had assumed that was for the development machine only, and that the Java-.NET interoperability components were all that were needed on the server.

Best regards,

Tom

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would at least suggest to add an entry for devportal to the hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) on your local pc:

<ip-address> devportal.crd.bc.ca

This might solve your first problem/question.

However, I don't expect it to solve your second one.

Good luck, William.