cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application server on windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have SAP production running on Linux.I want to add a application server on windows to existing system. When i read the guide i understand that i have to mount /sapmnt/exe,/sapmnt/global,/usr/sap/trans directories on windows.Can i do that using samba?If anyone has experience in installing a application server on windows for SAP on linux. Please let me know the steps.I have already read the inst.guides but cannot figure out the exact steps to do

Please give me steps in short if you can.

Thanks

Joyce

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

One of my SAP Systems (ECC 6.0) is running on Linux (SLES10 SP2) and Oracle (10.2).

I needed to add a Windows Application server, and what I have done into the Central Instance is:

- setup SAMBA in order to export u201C/sapmntu201D and u201C/usr/sap/transu201D.

- create the user SAPService<SID> into the central instance

- change the SAMBA password for the users <SID>adm and SAPService<SID>

The Windows host is mounting the 2 shares; I just mapped 2 new drives using a local account called <SID>adm.

Itu2019s pretty simple to do, and the official Documentation is good enough.

Regards,

Federico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Federico,

Thanks for your reply.I am still not able to get this installed.This is what i did.

Mounted shares /sapmnt & /usr/sap/trans using samba and mapped them as local drives in Windows machine as you said.

Run sapint to install dialog instance. SAPinst started installing a seperate trans directory on the linux machine. So i stopped the installation and gave SAPTRANSHOST entry in the hosts file in Windows machine referring to Linux IP.

When i ran sapinst after that - it gives me a error when i give the value /sapmnt/SID/SYS/profile in the check requirements screen.

rdisp/msserv_internal is not set in the instance profile

set the profile

rdisp/msserv = 0

rdisp/msserv_internal = XXXX

I did this and restarted SAP many times but still not able to get past this error.

Can you help me? Also Please let me know how much hard disk space should i have on Windows to have this installed.

Thanks

Joyce

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

I don't know the reason of the error, but in my DEFAULT profile the parameter "rdisp/msserv_internal" was installed by the sapinst, so maybe the installation procedure is not able to write into the profile.

Here are my 2 cents:

Since you have to enter the profile directory in the following way: "
testserver\sapmnt\SID\SYS\profile"

I suggest you to try to enter in that path from your Windows server, in order to be sure that you can access it and write into it.

About the space needed, I remember that my Windows application server was a Virtual machine with a 16 GB C: partition, and another 20 GB 😧 partition.

And I put a 4 GB swap file into the C: drive, and another 4 GB swap file into the D:.

Federico Biavati

Former Member
0 Kudos

Federico,

I was having a tough time installing it. It is done and Application server is showing up in SAP. This is what happened.i mounted the shares /sapmnt and /usr/sap/trans

created a user <sid>adm in windows and then run sapinst.But sapinst stopped becos it could not create folders in Linux in directory /sapmnt . so then i manually created a SYS where it generated all profiles for new application server and TRANS folder in /sapmnt in Linux machine which was empty with just folders in them,and then the installation completed successfully.

Am i doing something wrong or is that the way it usually happens.

What user should i use? Do i have to create specific users before starting sapinst on windows?

Do i have to change permissions on trans in Linux ? as i had to do it for sapinst to run on windows.

Please let me know ,just want to know if i am doing right?

Once again Thanks Fed. you have been so helpful

Joyce

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

> created a user <sid>adm in windows and then run sapinst.But sapinst stopped becos

> it could not create folders in Linux in directory /sapmnt

It sounds to me like an authorizations problem on your /sapmnt folder.

I don't know if it can help but here you can see my folder permissions:

testbox:/sapmnt # ls -lad /sapmnt

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 29 09:38 /sapmnt

(So, here is normal that your/my Windows user can't create folders or files)

> so then i manually created a SYS where it generated all profiles for new application server

> and TRANS folder in /sapmnt in Linux machine which was empty with just folders in them,

> and then the installation completed successfully.

testbox:~ # ls -lad /sapmnt/TU3/SYS/

drwxr-xr-x 7 tu3adm sapsys 4096 Jun 29 09:33 /sapmnt/TU3/SYS/

(Here you can see my SYS folder permissions)

testbox:~ # ls -la /sapmnt/

drwxr-xr-x 6 tu3adm sapsys 4096 Aug 24 17:21 TU3

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jun 29 09:38 trans -> /usr/sap/trans

(Here you can see that I created a symbolic link into /sapmnt called "trans" and pointing to "/usr/sap/trans").

> What user should i use? Do i have to create specific users before starting sapinst on windows?

You have to use the local (or Domain) Windows account "SIDadm", as you are doing.

> Please let me know ,just want to know if i am doing right?

I think that more or less you are doing the right things. Just check the Linux filesystem permissions.

And, I donu2019t know if this can help, but here you can see how I exported the /sapmnt folder with SAMBA (from my u201Csmb.confu201D file):

> [sapmnt]

>

> comment = sapmnt of central instance

> path = /sapmnt

> browseable = yes

> read only = no

> create mode = 0644

> case sensitive = yes

> preserve case = yes

> text conv = text

You can adapt it to your needs.

Regards,