cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps in setting up a FTP based interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I want to set up a FTP based interface in PI. What I want the interface to do is pick up a file on a server and by means of ftp transfer it to another server and put the file on that server which is a SAP R/3 server and start a ABAP report in R/3 to process this file.

Can you please share the steps involved in XI to setup this interface and to start the job in R/3

Thanks

Karen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

This should be developed as a File to File scenario for XI

Check these blogs

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/02/introduction-to-simplefile-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart1

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/03/introduction-to-simple-file-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart2

Regards

Suraj

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The requirement is straight forward check for File to R/3 scenario and for configuration check for Sender file adapter.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

Configure the file to file scenario.

sender communication channel is normal

In the receiver communication channel you have to select the Transfer protocol as FTP and give the parameter values like

FTP server name or IP address

port of the FTP server (default port is 21)

target directory where the file should placed in the R/3 system and target file name

Logon credentials of the R/3 server if it is not and anonymous.

For processing the file you have to develope one ABAP report and schedule.

Regards

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh/Prateek

My experience in SAP XI is mainly in programming about 7 or 8 proxies for SAP XI on ECC.

With my limited experience can you kindly share the step by step in configuring these file to file scenario to move a file from a external application onto R/3 and starting a job.

Deeply appreciate your help

Thanks

Karen

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

refer the links by suraj which talks about setting up a sample scenario.

you can use the help of this blog to help you set up a ftp server for testing - /people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a very commonly used methodology.

1. Expose one folder on ECC as FTP to be accessible via PI (Network team could help you with this).

2. Create a file to file scenario to place the file on ECC system.

3. Create an ABAP report. Schedule it using sm37 and put the frequency as per the file frequency based on client's requirement.

Regards,

Prateek

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

as per my understanding your requirement You want to pick up file from FTP server then you need to send it ECC FTP folder.

Three ways we can achieve this one

1)In stead of using XI interface better to write unix scripting program to copy the file from FTP server to ECC File folder.

2)Better to develop ABAP Proxy program to send data directl to ECC File server,

3)Go for File scenario.

Regards,

Raj