cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for delta deletion in SRM-MDM

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! I understand that MDM cannot do delta deletion unless we have full refresh. However, we usually get delta files that has a column/field that tell us whether the item is an Add, Change or Delete. We were able to use that information to delete the appropriate item in the old catalog management system (Requisite). However, with SRM-MDM we cannot do that.

One option I thought of was to create a custom field in the repository and then capture this information so that the administrator can delete it manually. However, I wonder whether there is a way to automate it? If we leave the items in the system without deleting it, then they can be potentially used by the users. Another option is to set a timeframe and create a named search to limit the catalog items by timeframe but I am wondering whether there is an easier way to automatically delete the item with the status 'Delete'? Has anyone tried to do the same before? What options do I have in this case? Appreciate any advice on the above.

Cheers!

SF

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member544585
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

I can relate to your pain. There is no automatic deletion function delivered by SAP in MDM. However, you can build a custom Java API or ABAP API program to achieve auto-deletion (if your customer is willing to invest in some development in this area).

Some other tips:

a. You don't have to create a custom field to indicate that a record is to be deleted. Simply add a new Item Status (standard lookup table), e.g. "Delete", and then populate records in your import files with this Item Status as needed.

b. For your end users not to see these "Delete" records in the WebDynpro Search UI, build a named search that excludes the Item Status "Delete" value.

My two cents...

Cheers,

Serguei

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Serguei,

Thanks for the information. They are very helpful. Re the APIs, can you please elaborate a little bit more as we have not implemented any APIs before and cannot visualise how it work? How do we control when the deletion API is called (as in how it is triggered)? Do we write a script to separate call it as a background job? Can it be tagged along as part of a workflow (I thought not)?

Cheers!

SF

former_member544585
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Please refer to the MDM API Guides (ABAP and Java) on Service Marketplace:

https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/installmdm

These guides explain what is needed in great detail and provide code examples.

I haven't worked with APIs to date, but I would imagine you can schedule a background job on your Web AS (e.g. SRM Server) with your custom program - in case of an ABAP API program. I don't think MDM Workflow can trigger the API program.

Cheers,

Serguei

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks.

Answers (0)