Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the search gone a bit wonky again?

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<RANT>

Could someone please fix this search once and for all?

Last week there was an excellent blog from fellow mentor about ABAP Naming standards. I remember the title: Nomen est Omen. Today I wanted to have a look to see if there were any comments I'd missed so I figured the quickest way to find it again would be to type part of it's title into the search box and filter by blogs.

Wrong!

Type "Nomen" into the little search box and the only blog it finds is [Dangerous Liaisons in User-Exits - Revisited|/people/uwe.schieferstein/blog/2009/06/16/dangerous-liaisons-in-user-exits--revisited]. Luckily in this instance it was by the same author so I could find [the one I was after|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14901] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];.

But if the search won't look at the title (presumably), then what else doesn't it find? The blog has been up for nearly three weeks, so indexing/caching should surely not be an issue.

</RANT>

I feel better now

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use Google instead and avoid the SDN search entirely. I tried typing:

Nomen est Omen SAP

into a Google search. UWE's blog was at the top of the heap.

Rob

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's what I do as well.

The SDN search doesn't satisfy my needs and it is terribly slow compared to google simply type site:sdn.sap.com first before entering your search string.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is not a good advertisement for TREX...

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sad,

but true nonetheless.

Edited by: Rob Dielemans on Sep 22, 2009 1:55 PM

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> That is not a good advertisement for TREX...

Bit like having to type your ID/password in twice to log into OSS as advertisement for the portal's user/access management capabilities?

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> >

> > That is not a good advertisement for TREX...

>

> Bit like having to type your ID/password in twice to log into OSS as advertisement for the portal's user/access management capabilities?

Chuckle.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Bit like having to type your ID/password in twice to log into OSS as advertisement for the portal's user/access management >capabilities?

I would be happy If it were only twice. In fact, I have to re-logon (or re send my client certificate ) for each server change.

With the load blancing each HTTP request can change the server....

I would not sell Single Sign-On to my internal users with a SAP service demo session....

SAP should remember that all the online utilies are showcases for their products..

Olivier

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I would be happy If it were only twice. In fact, I have to re-logon (or re send my client certificate ) for each server change.

> With the load blancing each HTTP request can change the server....

> SAP should remember that all the online utilies are showcases for their products..

One day the world's smartest software company will figure out a way to search for words in a database full of stuff people have written, and a way to get a website to remember when a user has already supplied their password

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont know much about this, but can imagine that there is an ABAP system tucked away behind it and it is probably not "SAP standard"...

A few months ago, there were error messages which gave a little clue.

SMP and SDN are quite different though with regards to the load balancer and the URLs made transparent to the browser. There is also a mix of external software which needs to be considered (or weeded out?) on the SDN side which does not always support these requests.

Funny enough, the SDN blogs now use the session ID to display an entry. For what reason would one want to keep a session ID for diplaying a static blog?

Hopefully it will all be over soon and the technical planning will have learnt a lesson.

Looking forward, SAPNetweaver will also have the ability to be a SAML assertion provider with SAML 2.0 compliance. I suspect the gurus are working on that.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I think it is true that there is some issue with the search. You search for something,and something else gets retrieved. Seven of 10 times it is giving the wrong result.

Vishwa.