cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Carrier

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SPRO --> Cross-Application Components --> Document Management --> General Data --> Define Data Carrier

Here Define data carrier type "server, front end" I have defined a Data carrier type & given a description.

Now in * Identify frontend computers* I clicked on Default Entry & system has generated Default net address.

Can we delete this data carrier & regenerate default entry again?

I tried to add one more data carrier type & clicked on Default Entry but system is not generating Default net address.

Can anybody help me with this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys some one throw some light on this.

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaresh,

I would like to inform you that in the SAP system it is only possible to maintain the default entry for one frontendtype only. For all other frontendtypes you have to maintain the system variable HOSTNAME on your PCs. Then the users on these PCs can select another frontendtype too.

In the online documentation (blue info-button on screen 'Display View "Frontends": Overview) you'll find the following information:

Note for computer with system variable "HOSTNAME":

The system does not take the DEFAULT entry into account for these computers. It automatically generates an entry for these computers in the following processing situations:

>> From a processing function for the document info record, the user

calls a function for processing the original application file.

>> The system displays a dialog box where the user can choose the data carrier type of his or her frontend computer.

>> As soon as the user confirms the chosen data carrier type, the system generates an entry in this table.

If you choose a data carrier type that triggers an error message when you display the original application files, you can correct the data carrier type directly from the processing function for the document info record.

The step to identify frontend PCs has no separate transaction code. You can only call the definition of data carrier by separate transaction code - 'DC20'.

In the SAP standard this entry are maintained only by the system itself and they cannot be entered manually in transaction DC20. I can only provide you the following information on the possible settings for variable HOSTNAME and the DEFAULT frontend entry.

1. Default entry

Call transaction 'DC20'. Double-click node 'Define data carrier type "server, front end"'. Select the respective data carrier type (e.g. 'PC') and double-click node 'Identify frontend computers'. Click button 'Default entry' in the top right corner of the table control. Note that it is only possible to create 1 default entry!

2. System variable HOSTNAME

If you run Windows XP, please go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel. Double-click on 'System'. Click on tab 'Advanced' and then on button 'Environment variables'. Create system variable 'hostname' and assign a value'. Save the new variable.

As there is already a DEFAULT entry for frontendtype 'PC' it cannot be maintained for another frontend type.

I hope this information could be useful for you.

Best regards,

Christoph

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christoph

Thanks a lot for the wonderful explaination. I understand it now better.

1. Default entry

Call transaction 'DC20'. Double-click node 'Define data carrier type

"server, front end"'. Select the respective data carrier type (e.g.

'PC') and double-click node 'Identify frontend computers'. Click

button 'Default entry' in the top right corner of the table control.

Note that it is only possible to create 1 default entry!

Can I delete the existing one & recreate new one? Does this work? Any pre-caution, I need to take?

2. System variable HOSTNAME

If you run Windows XP, please go to Start -> Settings -> Control

Panel. Double-click on 'System'. Click on tab 'Advanced' and then on

button 'Environment variables'. Create system variable 'hostname' and

assign a value'. Save the new variable.

I use Windows XP. What value should be used for the variable 'hostname'? Should I use the same variable name in the DC20 too?

Please clarify these doubts.

Thanks a lot again.

Best Regards

Amaresh

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaresh,

as hostname you can generally define any text or character combination in the Windows XP system settings. For the usage in the SAP sytem I would kindly recommend you to choose an unique 10 digit combination for each user. This is becuase he hostname can have only 10 digits in the SAP system and all furhter characters are cut off. So please choose a value as hostname which is different at the first 10 characters.

Best regards,

Christoph

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Christoph

But you didn't answer the 1st question in my last response.

Kind Regards

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Amaresh,

I think it should work to delete an existing DEFAULT entry in transaction DC20 and create it again for another frontendtype. The only thing is that all users which are working with the current frontend type will use the new one too in the future.

But I think there will be any other sideeffect.

Best regards,

Christoph

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot

Answers (0)