cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Installed Oracle Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We've been provided with information from our Infrastructure team - any new applications that run with an Oracle database will be provided on an LPAR with Oracle pre-installed.

So the question is, does anyone know if a new instance of SAP can be installed on an LPAR that already has an Oracle database pre-installed, is this an installation option that's supported by SAP?

Thanks,

Chris Ward

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

There are two issues to consider here:

(1) Directory structure and file locations

SAP allows using a directory structure that deviates from its own installation standard. In that case you must set a series of environment variables (SAPDATA_HOME, SAPDATA1, ...), which are described in the SAP Database Guide for Oracle on help.sap.com. Nevertheless, if you have any control over the matter, I do advise that you comply with the SAP standard, mainly because 99.9% of other SAP installations do.

(2) Release and patch levels

This is probably trickier. You must only install releases formally supported by SAP; also you must use SAP procedures to apply patch sets and interim patches, and install only those patches that are provided by SAP via the Service Marketplace (service.sap.com/SWCENTER-3PMAIN).

Hope this helps,

Mark

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark,

I don't have the full details yet as to whether the Infrastructure team have a standard directory structure that we may have to map to, or even if they wish to manage Oracle either.

I'm hoping that they allow exceptions and will need to develop a case to make sure they do. So thanks for the information - it's a great starting point.

Chris