cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI Configuration for Mac OSX

0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I work for the UW-Milwaukee University Alliance hosting center, and am having trouble trying to figure out how to create a server configuration file that can be easily distributed to all of our customers.

I'm not really sure what files are necessary for the SAP GUI application to load our specific settings. Obviously it has something to do with the "connections" file located at USER/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES/SAP.

When I enter all of the connections manually through the "expert" settings, the connections will show up and work, but when I go to close the program and open it again, they're all gone. The server list is still in the "connections" file though.

If anyone has some insight as to how this application works, configuration-wise, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For config there are a few options:

1. To connect to a DI directly. After starting the app, click new and under the "Advanced" tab use the following string:

conn=/H/(hostname)/S/(port / 3200 for instance ID 00)

2. To connect to a login group. After starting the app, open the "Preferences" / Configuration / Messageservers, you need to set a path to a file that has the message servers in the following string

(SID) : /M/(hostname)/S/(message server port)

Then click "New" and on the first tab you can choose a system and login group.

Hope this helps.

Thank

matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

I followed your advice to connect to a DI directly and it worked. However, we also have a Group and I cannot get that to work. When you say that I need to set a path to a file, what kind of file do you mean?

Thanks,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Thanks for your help. It turns out I had some syntax errors when writing out the system connections in the configuration file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let's separate the issues of creating appropriate configuration files and distributing the files to your Mac users.

With respect to distributing the files:

This is explained in the HTML documentation distributed with the JavaGui, in the "Installing Custom Templates" section of the Administration > Configuration Files page.

After you've created "connections" and "settings" files that you want to distribute, rename them to "connections.template" and "settings.template", respectively. Then use the command

"jar -cf ./templates.jar settings.template connections.template"

to make a "templates.jar" file containing them. Before the JavaGui is installed, put the "templates.jar" file in the same directory as the PlatinGUI-MacOSX-710rnumber.jar file. This will produce the "connections.template" and "settings.template" in the same directory as the JavaGui application, typically "/Applications/SAP Clients/SAPGUI 7.10revnumber".

When a user launches the JavaGui application, if he DOESN'T ALREADY HAVE "connections" and "settings" files in his <home-directory>/Library/Preferences/SAP directory, the "connections.template" and "settings.template" files will be copied to his <home-directory>/Library/Preferences/SAP directory with the names "connections" and "settings", respectively.

With respect to creating the "connections" and "settings" files, I'm not sure why what you are doing is not working.

Which version of the JavaGui are you using?

I assume that after configuring the connections, you clicked the "Save" button.

When you go to SAPGUI > Preferences > Configuration > SAP Logon is anything listed there?

As another approach, you might want to consider using central configuration files as shown in the HTML documentation Administration > Overview on Local/Central Files page.