cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adapter Engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

While configuring the communication channel we need to select the Adapter Engine. I saw in many documents that Select the Adapter Engine on the Integration Server, or select a non-centrally installed Adapter Engine. What does this non centrally installed Adapter Engine means ? Do we ever select anything other than the Integration Server here ?

Radhika

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Radhika,

It is constraint on PI that you can have only One Adapter Engine that can be installed on Integration server and this Adapter is known is Central Adapter Engine and this gets intalled by default.

Now consider a case where in you wanted to installed one more adapter engine. IS will not allow you to install it centrally so u have to install it on some different server(may be u r local PC !) i.e decentral installtion there the name is Decentral adapter engine. The monitoring and configuration for this decenrally installed adapter engine has to be done centrally thats why it appears in the option along with the Central Adapter Engine.

The main use of Decentral Adapter engine is to overcome the Firwall problem and Load balancing.

Seeburger adapter is a resource adapter it can be installed centrally or decentrally.

Thanks,

Sunil Singh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi folks,

for a communication channel in Integration Builder with adapter type "SOAP", i can not select for input field "adapter engine" the parameter "Integration Server". I have only to selection "CAE - Central Adapter Engine". How can i solve the Issue.

PI 711 Level 4.

My SXMB_Admin Config > BPE Configuration is:

MONITOR CCMS_APPLERROR_ALERT_AGE 1 7

MONITOR CCMS_MONITORING 1 1

MONITOR PMI_MONITORING 1 1

MONITOR QRFC_RESTART_ALLOWED 1 0

RUNTIME ACK_SYSTEM_FAILURE 1 0

RUNTIME ENGINE_TYPE HUB UNDEFINED

RUNTIME IS_URL http://spi:50000/sap/xi/engine?type=entry

RUNTIME LOGGING 1 0

RUNTIME LOGGING_PROPAGATION 1 0

RUNTIME LOGGING_SYNC 1 0

RUNTIME TRACE_LEVEL 3 1

RUNTIME TRACE_LEVEL_PROPAGATION 1 0

Anybody has ideas?

Thanks,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Radhika,

Consider this:

A bank is sending you files via FTP over the internet. You might not want to expose you PI server to internet due to security issue.

What you can do is, install a de-central adapter engine on a separate machine outside the firewall and connected to internet.

You can the select the de-central adapter engine from the dropdown you see.

The sender file adapter will poll the file and whenever it reads the file, the file is converted to XML and sent securely to Integration server for processing.

You have 2 benefits here.

1) Enhanced security

2) Less load on Central adapter engine, as it does not repeatedly poll the FTP location.

I hope this answers.

Regards,

Vikas

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Radhika,

The normal adapter available with XI are installed centrally with the XI Server. That is they are available in same Machine where XI is installed. And hence we end up selecting the Integration Server

Some other adapters like Seeburger AS2 adaptyer, sFTP adapter are installed in separate machine and hence they are available in a de-central mode. So when you configure these type of Communication channel then you need to choose de-central (or the machine name)

Hope now it is clear

Regards

Suraj

balaji_pichaimuthu
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hii Radhika,,

There are adapter communications are there

1. Centralised adapter

2. Decentralised adapter.

Centralised adapter communication:

I hope you know already IE can understand only the xml. Now say like you have scenario like idoc to jdbc.. A R/3 system sending a idoc to a Database. you know Integration sever has 3 engines namely central adapter engine (CAE),integration engine and Business process engine (BPE). CAE has many adapters like idoc,rfc,file,soap,http,etc. First the idoc will reach the central adapter engine coz IE cant understand the normal idoc form it should be converted to xml form.CAE use the idoc adapter to convert the idoc into idoc-xml form. now IE will understand idoc-xml it ill do whatever the required operation . and send back the result in xml form to CAE . Now CAE will convert the XML into jdbc form using jdbc adapter. and then msg sent to receiver jdbc machine (database).

Here both the sender and receiver dont have capability of sending and receiving the XML msg. so we have to use CAE .ALL the adapters which are presented to this conversion are inbuiled in CAE. But some special scenarios like sending msg using SFTP . CAE doesnt have those adapters so we have use thirdparty adapter like seeburger's AS2 adapter. so this is called Decentralised adapters communiction..

Please correct if i wrong experts,

Regards,

Balaji

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes we do. When you say Integration Server, it would use the adapter engine which comes with the standard PI installation. It is also possible that there is another adapter engine installed separately. This adapter engine is called as a decentral adapter engine which could be used for load balancing or backup purpose. In that case, you will find another option present there which would be decentral adapter engine name like af00.XXXX.XX.

Regards,

Prateek