cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe creation- without fact tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to create a universe , but the problem is I don have any fact tables in my database. So in which schema i can create a universe?

I have one Master table with all Primary Key? So i thought of mapping this master table with other Dimansion table?say any advantages/ disadvatages of star Schema?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't want to talk about adavantages/diadvantages of star schema as if would take time.

My recommendation is that if you cannot change the database schema of your customer you can build a universe on any database schema and use all features that to obtain the best universe you can have:

<ul><li>Create table aliases

<li>Create contexts if needed

<li>Create derived tables to avoid contexts or complex joins

<li>etc

I already had, in the past, to build a universe on schema that contained only a big table and I successfully created a universe and used it.

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijayalakshmi,

To piggyback on Didier's posting,

Create derived tables to avoid contexts or complex joins

This is also where you can create summaries on your data to derive "fact tables". An alternative to Derived Tables in the Universe is to build views (providing you have the permissions) in the actual database. The debate goes on about "derived" or "views" and it usually boils down to personal preference or constraints imposed by outside forces...

Thanks,

John

Answers (0)